Background: A 1943 obituary of Harry H. Nickey (b. abt 1871 - d. 1943) in the Gettysburg Times indicates he had a brother William Nickey and two children: Lester L. Nickey and Mrs. Martin L. Keys. In 1943 Harry lived in Gettysburg, William in Carlisle, Mrs. Keys in Harrisburg, and Lester in McClelandton. The 1880 U.S. Census of Cumberland Co. showed: (1) Nephew Harry living with Abraham and Elizabeth (Beitzel) Nickey in South Middleton Twp., and (2) William, a nephew living with Israel and Elizabeth (--?--) Nickey of Frankford Twp. Assuming that William is same as in the obituary (a critical decision) his Uncle Israel is a son of David and Mary Ann (Wax) Nickey. David is a son of George II and Christian (Hosteller) Nickey, the pioneer Cumberland Co. Nickey. An incomplete family tree provides a picture that is helpful to go follow the analysis.
1. David Nickey 1782 1847
+Mary Ann Wax 1789 1835
Grandparents of Harry and William Nickey
2. Israel Nickey 1826 1899
+Elizabeth --?-- 1826 1902
Nephew William in 1880 U.S. Census
2. Abraham Nickey 1838 1900
+Elizabeth Beitzel 1843 --?--
Nephew Henry in1880 U.S. Census
2. Unidentified Nickey --?-- --?--
+Unidentified Wife --?-- --?--
Actual parents of William and Henry.
3. William Nickey 1874 --?--
3. Harry H. Nickey 1871 1943
+Susan C. --?-- 1873 --?--
4. Lester Leroy Nickey 1890 --?--
4. Elizabeth B. Nickey 1892 1974
+Martin Luther Keys 1886 --?--
1. Is there any evidence that William is not the one in the obituary? Such evidence would make the above analysis inconsequential.
2. Who are Harry's and Williams parents?
3. What is the maiden surname of Harry's wife Susan C. --?--?
4. Did Lester Leroy Nickey marry, and if so who.
I want to thank the contributor who done most of this analysis. All comments, assistance, criticism, or information on George Nickey II family would be greatly appreciated. I currently have identified 1,467 direct descendants and/or their spouses of George Nickey II. I will share all information I have. If you prefer, I can be contacted at Sewbee2@aol.com
Best wishes, Bradley (Brad) Baer Nickey