Search for content in message boards

Lewis Bruner and Nannie Fields

Replies: 17

Re: Bruners of Oklahoma b

Posted: 1491021179000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1491021452000
While visiting the eldest Bruner in our family he shared some information about the Bruner name which some may find interesting. First the information was shared with him by his father Loney Bruner son of Billy and Adaline Bruner (Not the famous Billy Bruner) Loney's grandparents on the Bruner were named Loney Bruner and Nancy Bruner. Loney Bruner the elder was German his wife Nancy Muscogee Creek. Billy Bruner was concharty town and told his son Loney that there were many Bruners in the Creek Nation that our family was not related to. A local Businessman, teacher and cattle rancher by the name of Capt Fredrick Severs hired on many of the young Creek boys and men to work his cattle ranch. At the time some of the young Creeks signed up for some unknown reason they took the Bruner Sur name. In my grandfather Billy's generation many had lost their parents and were taken in by other Creeks or family members. Billy was orphaned as a young child. He fortunately had older siblings so at least his name and the nationality of his parents were handed down to him. Although there is another confusing piece of info my Uncle shared which is that his mother's name was Alice. But on his enrollment records he uses the name Nancy. Now it could be that she went by more than one name. His wife was Adaline however on the earlier rolls she is listed as Susie. The final info he shared was the Billy claimed he was born in Texas. His birth year was 1853 prior to the civil war. My Uncle did not know when the family came to Indian Territory. I found the story about the Sever's signing up the Creek men using the sur name Bruner plausable as the only known picture of My Grandfather Billy is of him voting in the Last Creek Nation Constitutional Election in 1903 the rancher Severs is in the photo as well. We do not know how Billy's parents died while most died from illness there may have been a trumatic event in the family's lives as Billy wore a patch over one eye. When asked what happened he refused to tell the story. The only other thing we know about our Billy is that he was a preacher. He lived in the Coweta area before relocating to his allotment nearer to Bixby in an area called Natura.
When I showed my Uncle the newspaper picture from 1903 he stated the Bruners in the picture were not related. Even though there was a Daniel in the picture. And the list of sibling names he gave me had a Daniel listed. The search for my GGG's in my Muscogee Creek line has proven to be very difficult even though one of them was a white man. Adaline Flanders/Flanley's side too is difficult I just can't get past the 1830's with either Grandparent. My Cherokee's on my mother's mom's side have been far easier to follow.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
FamilyStoryKe... 1489159880000 
FamilyStoryKe... 1491021179000 
bunniemccosar 1330394204000 
bunniemccosar 1330446753000 
BrandonLeFors 1447967251000 
Sharyl Moffit 1489498243000 
bunniemccosar 1330446857000 
FamilyStoryKe... 1401922144000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic