Search for content in message boards

Coons, Swigart, Sweigart & Cowdry in Ohio

Replies: 5

Coons, Swigart, Sweigart & Cowdry in Ohio

Posted: 1530822137000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1530841128000
Surnames: Coons, Swigart, Sweigart, Cowdry
My 4th great grandmother is Hester A. Swigart. This is as much that is certain. I have spent almost 18 months attempting to dig up more information on her parents/history with no luck. There was a large family of Swigart/Sweigart travelling from PA around 1800, but no census or record I’ve found lists a Hester. Furthermore, the records available that provide information on Hester (as explained below) list variations on how to spell her last name. If anyone could provide any insight into this, it would be tremendously helpful. Here is what I know:

Hester was first married on April 3rd 1840 to Ambrose H Cowdry in Crawford, Ohio. This is noted on their Marriage certificate. Ambrose passed away in 1844, leaving her widowed. In 1852, she remarried a Simeon Coons. The wedding was noted as taking place in Wyandot, Ohio because the county lines had just been redrawn. However, its confirmed to have taken place in the same area because the Justice of the Peace who married Hester to both Ambrose and Simeon was the same individual. On the 1852 Marriage Cert, she still listed her last name as Cowdry in honor of her last marriage. But she took the last name of Coons after the ceremony. They proceeded to have (3) children (Dency, Luella & Edna) in Little Sandusky, Ohio. After this, there is very little information known about what happened to Hester.

There is a reference to a Hariet Eleza Cowdry in 1853 via an estate sale, which is most likely her daughter (with Ambrose). This estate sale took place in the town of Middleville, within the Pitt Township, Wyandot, Ohio.

When her daughter Edna, (with Simeon) passed away in Washington State, her death certificate listed her mother as Hester A Sweigart. This is a different spelling to that listed in the 1840 marriage cert with Ambrose, but certainly the linkage is correct.

There are trees which list her death date as 1858 on Ancestry, but there is no evidence to this. However, we do know Simeon had married another woman (Mary) in 1860, per the Illinois 1860 census record. So Hester must have passed before this date.

I took a trip to Wyandot, Ohio last weekend and spent a great deal trying to unearth some information on her history, but again, nothing concrete. She is not listed in the Little Sandusky Cemetery records. The only other individual with the last name Swigart in the area is a Milton Swigert. He lived in Marion, Ohio and bought 2 pieces of land from the US Government. Not sure how this worked, but records state its true. However, his last name is spelled Swigert as opposed to Swigart. Plus, besides his multiple marriages, there is no other reference to his parents or siblings.

After the month of searching (both online through multiple resources and in Ohio), I figure its best to put out my research for all the view and perhaps someone has an old family bible that could provide history on Hester A Swigart.

Please help!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kjcassels 1530822137000 
mztiz1 1530848315000 
kjcassels 1531115822000 
mztiz1 1531512100000 
highridgemini 1531251235000 
kjcassels 1531404937000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic