Search for content in message boards

Need Answer to a Family Scandal

Replies: 1

Need Answer to a Family Scandal

Posted: 1504286560000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Richardson, Smith, Ross, Romans
There is a story in my family that no one seems to know the answer too. The father of my grand-father, Wilbur Joseph Smith (1932-1995) is a mystery, perhaps a scandal that was covered up.

It is said that Wilbur's mother, Arvena Hilda Ross (1917-2010) got pregnant when she was just 14 or 15 by her step-father, Leo Wilbur Richardson (1892-1967). At the time Leo was still married to Arvena's mother, Florence Melissa Romans (1896-1952). If Leo was the father, Wilbur did not take his last name. He was given the last name of Smith.

I've only been able to find one record, a marriage record of Wilbur to my grand-mother, Barbara Jean Parks (1940-living), that shows his father as being an Albert Smith. I can not find any information about this Albert. I an unable to find a birth and death certificate for Wilbur.

I heard that Florence did not care at all that Leo was sleeping with her daughter, his step-daughter, and eventually Arvena went on to marry him. Leo eventually died and then she married a James Smith (no relation to Albert - this was many years after).

No one in my family knows the real story. I would love to know if this is true because that would mean I am not really a Smith, I would be a Richardson!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Stephanie Smi... 1504286560000 
mztiz1 1504657827000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic