Search for content in message boards

Ellen Breen and Walter Walch/Welsh -Xenia, Ohio

Replies: 1

Re: Ellen Breen and Walter Walch/Welsh -Xenia, Ohio

Posted: 1481665865000
Classification: Query
I’m not related to any member of this family.

Patrick Breen
Birth: Apr. 1, 1824
County Kerry, Ireland
Death: Jun. 6, 1900
Greene County
Ohio, USA

In his will, probated in Xenia court, he left his estate to his brother, Morris, his sister Catherine Edgeworth and his nieces, Mary Duffy, Kate Hollencamp, Nora Brennan and Jose Breen the children of his brother Daniel.
In an 1895 Xenia city map he owned a large piece of property on Linn St. next to his sister Catherine Edgeworth's much smaller property. When he died he left his property to Catherine.

In the 1860's 70's and 80's there were two Patrick Breens living in Xenia, Ohio. Rather one was there and the other was there sometimes and off in the military most of the time and thats what made it so confusing to trace his history. The second Patrick married Bridget Riley on November 5, 1858 and had two sons, Dan and Dennis. This Patrick Breen family was not related to the other Breens in any way.In an E-mail sent to me by a woman named Mary who's great grandparents lived next door to Bridget Breen she was described as " Bridget Breen was an old woman who lived across the street from the Berrys. She was the sole local survivor of a very good family, a kind of a black sheep with a sharp acid tongue and too much of a taste for a " bit of drink". She did the dirtiest kind of work for her neighbors for little or no pay." One of her sons fell off of a railroad bridge that he was helping to build when he was about eighteen years old and died from the fall and the other son died at about age twenty of some illness so maybe thats why she took to drink. Who knows.

In the 1880 Ohio Census, it shows Patrick as a patient at the Dayton, Ohio V A Hospital. In the 1900 Ohio Census he is listed as living with his sister, Catherine Edgeworth, as a boarder. He died a few weeks after the census was taken. He says on the census record that he immigrated to America in 1845 and also became a naturalized citizen. He fled Ireland due to an arrest warrent that was circulated for his arrest after he got into a quarrel with an overseer on the estate of the Earl of Kenmare where the family worked as tenant farmers. He also states in the 1900 census that he could read but could not write. Patrick was a veteran of the Civil War. Shortly before he died he left his army sabre buckle and his veterans medal to his nephew John P. Breen. Eventually John passed these items on to his son Edward G. Breen, who eventually passed them on to his son Edward F. Breen. Patrick was known as a skilled horseman with above average ability. He did extremely well on horseback,skills he probably learned as a child in Ireland. He was also very well trained in the use of a sword. All who knew him said that he was very skilled in the use of a sword.

Another man named Patrick Breen served in the Ohio 3rd calvery company F. but he is not one of our relatives. Patrick died a widower and with out any children. Some of the facts above come from Breen family letters sent to various relatives.The letters were written about 1901 to 1902.
Tracing Patrick Breen was not easy. He was one of the hardest to track until his old age when he finally came back to Xenia, Ohio and we can find him in cencus records and address books etc. Because of his military career he moved a lot and this made it difficult. There were 26 men in the U.S. Army during the Civil War time period with the name Patrick Breen. We (meaning myself and a professional genealogist} researched everyone of them and determined who he wasn't by comparing ages, the name of their wives, children and birthplace ect. In the end we were left with one man who's age fit and all other facts fit except one thing and that is his place of birth and this may mean something and then it may not. What we know is that our relative Patrick Breen was baptized at the Catholic church in Killarney on April 1,1825. The Civil War soldier that we believe to be him says he was born in Fermanagh County Ireland. Outside of birthdays all other facts line up. Fermanagh is very far away from Killarney and County Kerry. It is way up in Northern Ireland. The conclusion of the genealogist was that this was the same man and that he was our relative because all the other facts added up. The reason why he might have lied about his birthplace was that here in America at that time period there was a tremendous hate for Irish Catholics. There was the ''Know- Nothing" political party as well as the ''Wigs'' who sought to exploit this hatred. So many Irish Catholics were coming over that it was freaking out most Americans and so we feel that he said he was born in Fermanagh to hide the fact that he was Catholic,because if he had said that he was from County Kerry many people would have known that he was Catholic.According to one encyclopedia account " anti-immigrant activists began splitting off from the major political parties and forming secret groups, coordinating their votes and throwing their weight en masse behind candidates sympathetic to their cause ( regardless of political party ). When asked about these secret organizations, members would reply " I know nothing," which led to them popularly being called Know-Nothing". The hate for Irish Catholics in America at this time period was very real and in some of the bigger cities such as Boston and New York there had been major riots where many of these newly arrived immigrants were seriously hurt and even killed. Signs in many stores would proclaim '' Job Opening no Irish need apply''. There were rumors that the Pope in Rome was going to come over with an army and take over the country and many people believed this. Slavery was only one of many issues tearing this country apart at this time period.

This soldier that we believe is Patrick was five foot eight, had red hair and blue eyes. He was in the military for a total of ten years. The first time he joined the army was in 1853 and he joined in Newport Kentucky which is just on the other side of the Ohio River from Cincinnati and Cincinnati is only forty miles directly south of Xenia. You would go from Xenia to Lebanon,Ohio and then on into Cincinnati and then just cross the Ohio River to Newport. The first five years he was in the 3rd Inf. and then in 1858 he reenlisted in Louisville Kentucky.This time he was put into the 9th U.S. Infantry and sent out West to Oregon and Washington.Their job was to round up hostile Indians and protect the settlers in this new country.
The history of the U.S. 9TH goes something like this...Under authority of the Act of March 3, 1855, the 9th Infantry was again organized (having been disbanded in August,1848).Lieutenant-Colonel George Wright, 4th Infantry was appointed colonel, Captain Silas Casey, 2nd Infantry, lieutenant colonel. The headquarters of the regiment were established at Fortress Monroe, Va, March 26, 1855 and recruiting rendezvous were opened by officers of the regiment in Maine, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio and Tennessee. Companies A,F and G were organized in May. B,H, and I in June, and D,and K in August. Patrick Breen was in I company. In November 1855 the regiment was ordered to the Pacific Coast, via Panama,arriving in the latter part of January,1856. The headquarters and Companies A,B,C,E,F,G,I,and K took station at Fort Vancouver. Companies W,T, and D and H going to Fort Steilacoom, and thence in a few days into the field in active operations against the Indians of that locality.
In March, 1856, Colonel Wright with Companies A,E,F,and I left Fort Vancouver on an expedition to Fort Walla Walla,Washington Territory then an abandoned Hudson Bay Company's post. After leaving Fort Dalles, Oregon, on the with, information was received of an attack by Indians on the settlers at the Cascades, and the command returned to the point by forced march and dispersed the Indians, the ringleaders being made prisoners. The command remained at the Cascades until the latter part of the following month, when the colonel with companies A and C left on an expedition to the Yakima River,being joined in May by Companies B,F,G,I and K. This expedition remained in the field until August and brought about the surrender of five hundred hostile Indians on the Weuache River in the latter part of July. Companies D and H remained in the field nearly all of the year and had many engagements with hostile Indians.

From the close of field operations in 1856 until the spring of 1858, the regiment was principally engaged in building posts and making roads. In August, 1857, Company F was detailed as escort to the Northern Boundary Commission and remained in the field on that duty nearly three years. In May 1858, Company E formed part of a force of 159 men sent to make a reconnaissance of the country to the north of Fort Wall Walla. On May 17, the command was attacked by over 1000 Indians and after fighting till dark and nearly exhausting their ammunition was compelled to retire. A forced march was begun that night and a distance of 75 miles covered by 10:00 the following morning without the lossI of man or horse.

In August 1858, an expedition was organized under command of Colonel Wright to proceed against the Spokane Indians and their allies. Companies B and C formed port of this expedition, and after two engagements at Four Lakes and on Spokane Plains, W. T. it was successful in bring about a lasting peace with the Indians of that section.In the autumn of 1861,after nearly six years of arduous service in Oregon and Washington Territories, the regiment, with the exception of Companies A and C was ordered to San Francisco, California,preliminary to its transfer to the East. The regiment remained on duty at their post near San Francisco, and performed provost guard duty until late in 1865.(these facts were compiled by LCaptain E.B. Robertson,9th U.S. Infantry). Patrick Breen left the regiment on May 20th 1863 at a Fort just outside of San Francisco. In September of 1863 he was back in Xenia, Ohio where he got married on September 19,1863 to Catherine Walsh. No more records can be found on him until he is found at the Dayon, Ohio V.A. hospital in 1880. So its anyones guess where he and Catherine go after their marriage. Maybe back out west someplace. By 1880 he is a widower and when he dies in 1900 in Xenia he says in his will that he leaves no children, and so he is very generous with all his brothers and sister and all his nieces and nephews. He seemed to be well liked by his family in Xenia.His obit in the June 7th, 1900 Xenia Gazette said that he had a wife and three children that preceded him in death, which means his children were all born after 1863 and all dead before 1900 as well as his wife.

Family links:
Daniel J. Breen (1786 - 1842)
Mary Hease (1794 - ____)

Catherine Walsh Breen

Patrick Breen (1824 - 1900)
Daniel Breen (1825 - 1890)
Maurice Breen (1828 - 1906)
Catherine Breen Edgworth (1831 - 1920)

Saint Brigid Cemetery
Greene County
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Carole Lannom 1462838719000 
thomasker2 1481665865000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic