Search for content in message boards

Wake County Poor House Location 1904

Replies: 23

The burial place of Mr. Davis has been found.

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 11:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS STORY:
I tried all the possible sources to locate a death certificate or some sort of death record of Mr. Davis, and after multiple vists to the State Archives, and other places, still no luck. Then I got another idea, and searched the old newspaper archives. They didn't have an obituary column back then, I guess the population was so much smaller that they didn't have that many people dying every day. But I found an obscure little news article 2 days after Mr. Davis died, entitled "Another Confederate War Veteran Dies", and I knew I had struck gold. The name, date of death, and age matched, icluding the military unit he served in, so I knew it was her lost ancestor. It said he had died in the Soldier's Home in Raleigh, and was to be buried in Oakwood Cemetery that afternoon. So finally we know where he was buried. I couldnt help but shed some tears, knowing I had found the ancestor that she had been looking for for 9 years. I was happy to hear that he was living in the Soldier's Home, not the poor farm. The poor farm was in the country, no electricity, no indoor plumbing, or heat, except for an open fireplace, with very rustic living conditions. The Soldier's home was in town, had electricity, running water, and heat, and they took good care of the Veterans. It gave me a lot of comfort to know that his last days were spent in the Soldier's home, with much better living conditions than we had thought. Also, everyone who died in the Soldier's Home was buried in the Confederate War section of our local Historic Oakwood Cemetery, and he would have had a proper burial. I went to the cemetery with a camera, expecting that they would be able to tell me where he was buried and I would be able to take a picture of his tombstone to send. Unfortunately, that was not the case, they were not able to tell me which of the nearly 1500 Confederate graves were his. They said when they were buried, the grave was simply marked with a wooden cross written with pencil. Over the years they wore off and became unreadable, and the cemetery had not kept good records of who was buried where. So around 1920 when the living war veterans and the fallen soldier's families lobbied the Veteran's admistration to get those white tombstones you see on all military graves, they had to mark a lot of those tombstones "Unknown", even though when they were buried they had known their identity. What a shame they did not keep good burial records, or they could have carved his name on the wooden cross, or just scratched it into the wood, there would have been some clue as to who was buried where. I guess the cemetery figured when they buried them that as long as the family knew where he was, that was all that mattered. They didn't think about future generations. So we know he died in the Soldier's Home, and is buried in the Confederate War section of our very Historic Oakwood Cemetery. I sent this story and a copy of the newspaper article to his descendant who was looking for him here, and although I am very disappointed I was not able to locate the exact grave, I am sure next time his descendant is in Raleigh, she will walk through the Confederate section of the cemetery, and I hope she can find some comfort, as I do, knowing that he is buried there with his fallen comrades from Company B, 6th regiment.
David Amos
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
1_davidamos 5 Jan 2012 1:04AM GMT 
1_davidamos 10 Jan 2012 8:08PM GMT 
1_davidamos 5 Apr 2012 11:23PM GMT 
1_davidamos 14 Apr 2012 5:34AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic