Search for content in message boards

Descendants of Samuel Stone

Replies: 2

Descendants of Samuel Stone

Posted: 1443488930000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1475330731000
Surnames: Stone, Inman
To those who are familiar with the family of Samuel Stone, born about 1775 and died in 1837, his wife has been passed around as Joanna Inman, daughter of Hardy Inman. I have researched many records but have not found any documentation to corroborate this. In fact, I have found information that contradicts this claim. Of course, if there are primary sources out there that connect Samuel Stone to a Joanna Inman, I would love to see it.
Regardless, there is information out there that needs to be corrected.

1. The first name of his wife was Joanna. (Myth)
I have gone through countless records and have not once seen her name given as Joanna. I have found her listed in deeds, tax, estate, church, and census records as “Anna Regina” or Annarejina, Anna Jina, or “Chiney*.”
* In the 1840 census (p. 223). This also means that she did not die in 1830.

2. His wife was an Inman. (Doubtful)
Some researchers claim that she was the daughter of Hardy Inman, who wrote his will in 1795. This is not true. The Hardy Inman who wrote his will in 1795 named his legatees (of which none were Joanna, Anna Regina, or a Stone). Furthermore, he is Hardy Inman, Jr, not the Sr, who was born before 1755. This Hardy Inman was likely born in late 1760s or early 1770s, too young to be her father.
In addition to this, the Hardy Inman family lived near the Old Field Swamp. Samuel Stone lived east of the Indian Swamp, near Flowers Swamp. It is unlikely (though not impossible) that he would have courted someone that lived such a distance.
From my research, it seems like “Joanna Inman” is a completely fabricated person.

3. He somehow acquired land that Jesse Pittman owned. (Fact)
Samuel Stone owned 200 acres of land on Indian Swamp, adjoining the lands of Willis Barnes and Amelia (Milly) Williford. I have not found a deed that shows a transaction of him buying this land, but a reference exists that shows the land was either sold or given to Samuel by Jesse Pittman. This is intriguing since Samuel gave some of his sons names that are prevalent in the Pittman family, such as Isham and Hardy. Could Anna Regina have been a Pittman?

4. He also sold land that he somehow came to own between the Lumber River and Flowers Swamp. (Fact)
Much like the 200 acres of land he owned on Indian Swamp, he also owned, at one time, 100 acres of land between the Lumber River and Flowers Swamp, which no deed exists to explain how he came to own it. He sold this land to Josiah Barnes. I am not certain, but it appears this land may have previously been owned by William Barnes.

5. Samuel was from Ireland. (Possible)
The belief that Samuel Stone came from Ireland is based on later census records of his children, where the birthplace of the father was given. Samuel Stone, Jr. told census takers his father was born in Ireland. However, older children gave conflicting information. Isham, the oldest, who would have known his father the longest, gave his father’s place of birth as North Carolina. Meanwhile, Elias, the second oldest, gave it as South Carolina. Among the other children: Isabel gave it as North Carolina, Anna as North Carolina, and Mary as North Carolina.
James R. Stone also gave the birthplace of his father as Ireland. However, it is not certain that he was a son of Samuel Stone. In numerous records, including those of the estate of Samuel Stone, he is never mentioned as an heir. Of course, this could mean that James R. already received some form of inheritance (possibly given land or money previously). Obviously, it may also mean that James R. was not a son of Samuel, but without a doubt, a relative.
Based upon the statements of the majority of the children, including the older ones, it would appear that Samuel Stone was most likely born in the United States, either in North or South Carolina. To better clarify, Isham Stone would have been in his early 30s when Samuel died. Elias in his late 20s. Samuel Stone, Jr. would have been about 19 years old.

Samuel Stone is found in Robeson County as early as 1797, when he is a witness to a land transaction.

6. His daughter, Anna Stone, was married to James Belch. (Myth)
On February 24, 1834, Ann Stone and James Belch signed a marriage bond, signaling their intent to wed. They obviously married shortly thereafter, since their daughter Mary was born the same year. This means that in 1834, this Ann Stone would be known as Ann Belch. When Samuel Stone died in 1837, and his heirs were listed, those daughters that had already married were listed with their married names, as well as who they were married to. His daughter, Anna, was still listed as a Stone, meaning she was not married yet. Furthermore, the Ann Stone that married James Belch was born in 1814, meaning she would first appear in a household in the 1820 census. In the 1820 census for Samuel Stone, there are three females under 10. These would be: Charity (born about 1814), Metitia/Matilda (1810-1815), and Isabella (born about 1816). Anna was not born yet.

Anna, or Annie, the daughter of Samuel Stone, was married to Ansel Stephens, according to my research. She was born May 12, 1824 and died July 17, 1884 and was buried in the Walters Cemetery. Her tombstone gives her name as Annie R. I suspect that her name is Annie (or Anna) Regina, like her mother. It would go with the naming patterns they had already used (naming a son after the father).
It is likely, then, that the Ann Stone that married James Belch was the daughter of James Stone, born about 1775, that is found in the northern part, or “upper division,” of Robeson County in 1850. James Belch and Ann are eventually found living in this part of the county later.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Eric Stone 1443488930000 
hamlink 1455153555000 
Eric Stone 1455156150000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic