Search for content in message boards

Looking for Taylor Searcy

Replies: 0

Looking for Taylor Searcy

Posted: 1540558529000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1540558564000
Surnames: Searcy Ownbey Henderson Brown
I am at a complete standstill looking for my 2nd great-grandfather, Taylor Searcy. He was born about April 1872 to Susanna (various name spellings) Searcy and unknown father in Edneyville.

I found him on an 1880 as an 8 year old listed with his mother, (she is listed as a widow and his name is listed as William).

Taylor married Julia Ownbey in Asheville on Oct 6, 1891. Next, he is listed with Julia and two children: Andy and Luther. Julia is pregnant with my great-grandfather, Floyd Claude Searcy during this time, living in McDowell County. This is found on the 1900 census.

He is the father of Andy, Luther, Floyd, Joe and Boyd "Jack" Searcy. The last known record of Taylor is being listed as Boyd's father in 1904.

I was told for years that Taylor had been killed in a logging accident, but I have never found any proof of him ever dying at a young age. He just disappeared off the planet, it seems.

His wife Julia, married Adolphus Brown who fathered three more of her children. After he had died, Julia later married a James Henderson. Julia and almost all of her children are buried at Chapel Hill Church Cemetery in Skyland.

My question is this: what really happened to Taylor? Did he and Julia divorce? If so, how does one get a hold of divorce records from the 1900s? Did Taylor really die at an early age? What was Susanna's maiden name and who was his father?

If anyone can clue me in, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

Find a board about a specific topic