Search for content in message boards

John Clark and Martha Westcott, Wescott, Westcoat

Replies: 2

John Clark and Martha Westcott, Wescott, Westcoat

Posted: 25 Oct 2006 3:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clark Westcott Weed Scofield Ingerson Croft Craft Botsford Hoyt Fowler
I am looking for Clark and Westcott information. John Clark and his wife, Martha Westcott lived in Bedford and/or Pound Ridge. John was born 1740; removed to Saratoga County ca. 1792; then to Cayuga County where he died in 1818. Martha and John married ca. 1763. Martha was the daughter of John Westcott, she had a brother named John, and one named Ezra. John Clark's father was also named John Clark and would have been born ca 1705. Martha died two weeks after her second son was born in Decemeber 1766. There eldest son was Abijah Clark, the other was Ichabod Clark. Abijah married Hannah Ingerson. Ichobod was raised by the Westcott. He married Sarah Weed, daughter of Gilbert Weed. Most of this group and allied families moved to Saratoga County in 1792. Then, many of them continued to Cayuga County by 1809. After Martha Clark died in 1766; John Clark married Polly Robinson. Together they had several children viz Amos, Thomas, Mary, Ezra, Amaziah, Martha, Joel, Henry. Ezra Clark, stayed or returned to Bedford. All the rest went to Saratoga County and later to Cayuga County. Descendants filtered in other counties as well, spreading westward as time went on. Allied families include: Botsford, Scofield, Ingerson or Ingersol, Weed, Croft or Craft, Hoyt and Fowler. John Clark's grandfather may have been named John Clark or William Clark; b. ca. 1670. Our line has been tied to Samuel Clark but that is questionable. I am also looking for an account of events concerning the Burning of Bedford in July 1779. John Clark's grandson, Jotham Clark, wrote a letter in 1848 saying his great grandfather John Clark was alive, near age 100 and an invalid being cared for by his daughter Hannah. And, that during the burning of bedford, Hannah (on knees, after the house had been plundered) begged the British soldiers not to burn their house because of the invalid John Clark Sr.; and that the soldiers yielded to her pleas and let the house stand. I am looking for confirmation of this event. This same Jotham, states that John Clark Sr. was a hatter by trade and died a natural death near 100 years of age "during the time of the Revolution". Again, I am looking for additional information on these early generations; and for information to confirm his statements. I have lots of Clark information that I would be happy to share with others.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
clarkrr1 25 Oct 2006 9:55PM GMT 
bevwyse1 13 Apr 2012 9:48PM GMT 
heritagehunte... 14 Apr 2012 2:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic