Search for content in message boards

Devall/Barton/Van Valkenburg connections -- Wayne County, New York

Replies: 0

Devall/Barton/Van Valkenburg connections -- Wayne County, New York

Posted: 1538491487000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Devall, Van Valkenburg, Van Volkinburg, Falkenberry, Jones, Gumore, Barton, Sherman, Shaver, Shafer
I'm trying to find out a possible connection between a Devall ancestor to the Van Valkenburg family lines. It is most likely that my 2nd great grandfather, George W. Devall, was adopted by Elezar Devall and Sophia G. (Jones) Devall sometime between his birth in 1868 and 1870. Elezar Devall was married twice, and a recent DNA test to a descendant of him and his first wife (Nancy Gumore) is not a match. I'm still waiting on additional DNA tests for a better confirmation between the two descending lines. Sophia was also married twice. I'm pretty sure that I have no DNA matches to the Barton family lines at all. Her first husband was John W. Barton, who died during the Civil War. An extramarital relationship is probable, but I can't be certain of that since I've yet to see any DNA significant matches on the Jones family lines for Sophia (includes Sherman, Shaver and Shafer).

My closest Y-DNA matches, according to FTDNA, is to the Van Valkenburg and Falkenberry family lines. I also have a couple cousin related matches on Ancestry as well. There are some other surnames as well, but it's still a work in progress. Interestingly, the surnames have apparent origins within the Rhine River region of western Europe...including Devall. According to census records and my 2nd great grandfather's death certificate, he was born in Huron, New York. The state didn't begin taking vital records until 1880, so I'm not sure as to how accurate the birth location actually is. There were a few Van Valkenburg (and Van Volkinburg) families living in Wayne County including Wolcott, South Butler, Savannah and Newark during that time. Nothing on Falkenberry that I've seen in the county. Elezar moved from Fairville (near Newark) to Huron around 1866. Sophia lived most of her life in Huron and Wolcott. The two married in late 1865. Elezar sustained serious injuries during the Civil War, so I don't expect the two would have been able to have any children. He was also in his mid to late fifties in age. Both already had children from previous marriages, though.

I'm aware that the Devall and Van Valkenburg lines also had families in Michigan. I've also noticed Van Valkenburg ties in Canada. There were also a couple Van Valkenburgs who married Bartons, so possibly a connection there although I haven't found any DNA matches along that line as of yet.

I have potential 4th cousins on the descending line of John Van Valkenburg (1806-1886) and Catherine Snyder (1811-1888) according to DNA matches. This family goes back to Delaware and Schoharie counties in New York. I don't think any of their children lived in Wayne County, though. It could be off the lines of one of John's brothers. As of right now, I don't know who John's parents or other siblings were (could be on the line of Adam Van Valkenburg and Magdelena Borst). I expect that it would eventually tie into the Netherlands with Andries Van Valkenburg (1540-ca. 1609) as per some Y-DNA matches I have on FTDNA.

I've also noticed probable 4th cousin matches with Van Valkenburg related people on other family lines which eventually tie in to Lambert Jochemse Van Valkenburg (born 1672) although that is much further back in the generation lines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Find a board about a specific topic