Search for content in message boards

Lawton Family

Replies: 5

Lawton Family

Raymon E. Lawton (View posts)
Posted: 916142400000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lawton, Austin, Bennett, Longcoy, Derrick, Tupper, Parker, Todden, Whittenhouse, Stomight, DeMonts, Wolgrath, Emerson, Murphy, Broadlaw, Simpson, Fuller
My greatgrandfather, DeRuyter Sylvester Lawton, was born in Ithaca,Tompkins County, NY Nov.12,1835, Married Marcia Minerva Selleck, 1868. DeRuyter was chief of the Fire Department,manager of the Wstley Grain Elevators and Canal Boats and was recording steward of the Methodist church for 24 years.

His father was Arial Martin Lawton who married Angeline Austin May 11, 1832 and died May 1, 1864 in Ithaca, NY. He was machinist and engineer on the Delaware and Lackawanna Incline RR. His other children, besides DeRuyter, were Mary Ann who married Andrew Bennett, Martha Jane who married James Longcoy, Permelia (never Married), Lovina, Sarah Ann who married Wm. Derrick, Harriet who married Horace Tupper, John Wellington born 1854 and died two years later, and George W. Lawton.

The Brothers an sisters of Ariel were Daniel who married Mellissa Todden and lived in Danby and Ithaca in Tompkins County. (I have a picture of the house on Washington Park).,
Mary who married Joseph Whittenhouse, Pauline who married Jacob Stomight, Celia who married Henry DeMonts, Susan who married George Wolgrath and William. Sylvester had a second wife, Ann Ella Bishop.

I also have photos of the Lawton Home in Brookton, NY. built in 1856.

All this history was handed down to me by my Grandfather, Clarence Arial Lawton, son of DeRuyter Sylvester Lawton. I have been able to locate the death and burial of Permelia Lawton and Martha Jane Longcoy in Ithaca, Harriet Tupper in Elmira, NY and DeRuyter Sylvester in Grand Rapids, Michigan. However all efforts of the rest of the family in Ithaca, Tompkins County, NY. elude ma including death and burial sites. It would seem to me that church records, fire department records, etc might help. Any help would be appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Raymon E. Lawton 916142400000 
ELMAR 916228800000 
StaceyR4 964612800000 
samantha_long... 1426050361000 
xwell3 997225310000 
racicotc24 1527898995000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic