Elizabeth J. Crittenden, deceased, 16 November 1897

Bradford Almy, Surrogate
James L. Baker, witness
Elizabeth Snyder, witness
J. L. Baker, Esq., attorney
Eugene Terry, clerk

--------------------------------
Last Will and Testament

I, Elizabeth J. Crittenden of the Town of Dryden, County of Tompkins and State of New York being of sound mind and memory, do make, ordain, publish and declare this to by my last Will and Testament, that is to say:

First. After all my lawful debts are paid and discharged, I give, devise and bequeath the use of one equal half of all the property real and personal of which I die seized (except a china set of dishes) to my son Ira S. Grover, the same to be used and enjoyed by him for and during the term of his natural life, and after his death the said one half of all my real and personal property is hereby willed, devised and bequeathed to all the living heirs of my said son Ira S. Grover equally, the same however is subject to the use for life of my said son Ira S. Grover.

It is my further will that in case said Ira S. Grover dies without heirs, that in that event the property willed to said Ira's heirs shall go to and the same is, in the event aforesaid, willed, devised and bequeathed to the heirs of Pliny Grover.

Second. I give, devise and bequeath to my daughter-in-law Alice M. Grover (who was formerly Alice M. Smith) the use of one half of all that real and personal property of which I die seized, (except said set of china dishes) for the life time of my son Pliny Grover, the same to be used and enjoyed by said Alice M. Grover for and during the term of the natural life of said Pliny Grover, and at the death of said Pliny the said one half of all my real and personal property is hereby given, devised, and bequeathed to all the living heirs of said Pliny Grover, equally, subject however to the use of said Alice M. Grover for the life of Pliny Grover as aforesaid. And it is my further will that if said Pliny Grover dies without heirs, that in that event the said one half of the property, real and personal, willed to said heirs of said Pliny Grover shall go to, and in the event aforesaid, the same is hereby devised and bequeathed to the heirs of said Ira S. Grover.

Third. I do give and bequeath to my granddaughter, the oldest of said Ira S. Grover, (Who is not yet named)* all my one set of china dishes or china tea set.

Fourth. It is my further will, that in case my said sons Ira & Pliny die without heirs that in that event the property, real, and personal herein before mentioned as willed to their heirs shall go to, and the same is, in the event aforesaid, hereby willed, devised and bequeathed to my brothers and sisters equally. This last clause of this will is only to take effect in case said Ira Grover & Pliny Grover die without heirs.

Likewise, I make, constitute and appoint my son Ira S. Grover to be executor of this my last Will and Testament, hereby revoking all former Wills by me made.

In witness Whereof I have hereunto subscribed my name and affixed my seal, the nineteenth (19) day of December in the year of our Lord nine thousand eight hundred and seventy seven.

Elizabeth J. Crittenden

The above instrument, consisting of one sheet was at the date thereof subscribed by Elizabeth J. Crittenden in the presence of us and each of us. She at the time of making said subscription, acknowledged that she executed the same and declared the said instrument so subscribed by her to be her last Will and Testament. Whereupon we then and there, at her request, and in her presence and the presence of each other, subscribed our names as witnesses thereto.

J. L. Baker residing at Ithaca, N.Y.
Elizabeth Snyder residing at Dryden N.Y.

*Clara E. Grover, married Stuart Treat

Find a board about a specific topic