Search for content in message boards

Jonathan COUPHMAN probate

Replies: 0

Jonathan COUPHMAN probate

Posted: 934264800000
Classification: Will
Edited: 994659644000
Surnames: COUPHMAN, CUFFMAN
Transcript of Surrogate Court Record of JONATHAN CUFFMAN:At the Surrogate Court held for the County of Tompkins at the Surrogate Office in the Town of Ithaca, County aforesaid on the 22nd day of
October, 1828. Presents Miles Finch, surrogate: In the Mater of the Real Estate of Jonathan Cuffman,
deceased; Upon the presenting of this petition in this matter appearing that Mary Eaton,
Elizabeth Cuffman, Sally Cuffman, John W. Cuffman, Alvinze(sic)Cuffman, Anna Cuffman and Matilda
Cuffman are infant heirs of the said deceased all under age twenty-one years and James McGanan(sp?)
of the town of Ithaca in said county a descent and substantial freeholder, having consented by an instru-
ment in writing _________? even date with these present to act as the guardian of the said infants respectively. In conformity to the statute in York State made and proved it is ordered that the said James
McGanan be and he hereby is appointed guardian of the said respective infants for the sole purpose of
appearing and taking care of the interest of the said respective infants in the proceedings upon petition
in this matter. In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal of office this day
and year also written. Miles Finch, Surrogate

Page 258 The last will and testament of Jonathan Couphman(sic) of Dryden in the county of Tomp-
kins; I, Jonathan Couphman, being weak in body but of sound mind do make and publish this my last
will and testament in manner here following that is to say: First-I give and bequeath unto my beloved
children, Polly Couphman, Betsey Couphman, Sally Couphman, John W. Couphman, Alvinze Couph-
man, Anna Couphman and Matilda Couphman all my real estate situate in the town of Dryden to be div-
ided equally among them when my youngest child becomes of lawful age. Page 259 I give and be-
queath to my beloved wife, Lucinda Couphman as long as she sall remain my widow 1/3 part of my real
estate and in case she should again marry, it is my will that she shall no longer receive any portion of the profits of my estate but that the third part hereby bequeathed to her should go for the benefit of my
children and be divided among them as above stated, and it is my will that she shall have 1/3 part of my
household furniture including bed and bedding and ________ ________ _______? her own individual
property to dispose as she shall think proper. Item-It is my will and with that my personal property shall
be applied in payment of my debts as far as the value will extend and it is my will that all my just debts
should be paid. Item-I do hereby appoint my beloved wife Lucinda Couphman executrix and John Mitchell executor of this my last will and testament herby revoking and cancelling all former wills by me
made. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 5th day of January 1827. Signed,
sealed, pulbished and declared by the said named Jonathan Couphman as his last will and testament in
the presence of us who have hereunto subscribed as witnesses in the presence of the testator.
John Cuffman(sic) his
Enoch Pixley Jonathan X Couphman, ss
Frederick G. Rawley/Hanley? mark

p.260 Tompkins County:Be it remembered that on the 17th day of March in the year of our Lord 1827, personally came and appeared before me Miles Finch, surrogate of county of Tompkins, Frederick
G. Rawley/Hanley? who being by me duly sworn declared that he saw Jonathan Couphman sign and
seal the within written instrument(signing by making his mark not being able to write his name by reason
of his hand being frozen)purporting to be the will of the said Jonathan Couphman bearing date the 5th
day of January in the year of our Lord, 1827 and heard(?) him publish and declare the same as and for his
last will and testament that at the time thereof he the said Jonathan Couphman was of sound disposing
mind memory to the best of the knowledge and belief of him the deponent and that John Cuffman and
Enoch Pixley togethere with the deponent subscribed the said will as witnesses thereto in the testators
presence and that Lucinda Couphman the executrix in the said will named likewise appeared before me and was duly qualified to the true execution and performance of the said written will by taking the usual
oaths of an executor, John Mitchell, the executor in said will named having renounced his claim to the
execution of the said will and refused to act. Miles Finch, Surrogate P.261 The people of
the State of New York by the grace of God free and independent:to alle to whom these presents shall
come or may concern and greeting(?):Know ye that at Ithaca in the county of Tompkins on the 7th day
of March in the year of our Lord 1827 upon Miles Finch esquire, Surrogate of said county the last will
& testament of Jonathan Couphman, late of the town of Dryden in said county decedent.(a copy whereof
is herunto annexed) was duly proved and is now approved and allowed of by me;and the said deceased
having whilst he lived and at the time of his death, goods, chattels or credits written this date by _______?
whereof the proving and registering the said will and the granting administration of all and singular the
said goods, chattels and credits and also the auditing allowing and final discharging the accounts thereof doth belong onto us. I thereupon the administration of all and singulars the goods chattels and credits
of said deceased and any way concerning his will is granted unto Lucinda Couphman, of Dryden aforesaid
executrix in the said will named she being ______duly sworn will and faithfully to administer the same
and to make and exhibit a true and perfect inventory of all and singulars the said goods chattels and
credits and also to render a just and true account thereof where thereunto required. In testimony whereof
we (P.262) have caused the seal of office of our said Surrogate to be hereunto affixed. Witness Miles
Finch esq. Surrogate of said county at Ithaca aforesaid the 7th day of March in the year of our Lord 1827
and of our independence, the fifty-first. Miles Finch, Surrogate(s) I certify the preceeding to be a
true copy of the original will of Jonathan Couphman deceased, the certificate of proof thereof and of the
letter testamentary thereon, March 7, 1827. Miles Finch, Surrogate (s) Testamentary letter : To Miles
Finch, Esquire, Surrogate of Tompkins County Sir, Understanding that John(sic) Couphman of the
town of Ithaca lately deceased did by his last will and testament appoint me one of his executors, this
is to notify you and all persons interested that I refuse to act as such executor. Feby 20th, 1827.
(s) John Mitchell

Find a board about a specific topic