Search for content in message boards

Will of Clinton H. Howland

Replies: 0

Will of Clinton H. Howland

Karen G. Dickson (View posts)
Posted: 930549600000
Classification: Will
I, Clinton H. Howland, aged 21, of the city of Ithaca, in the county of Tompkins and State of New York, being of sound mind and memory, do make, publish and declare this my Last Will and Testament, in manner following, that is to say:
FIRST, I direct that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid.
SECOND, I give, devise and bequeath to my executors herein after named, and to the survivor of them, all the rest, residue and remainder of my property, both real and personal, of which I may die seized or possessed, IN TRUST, as follows:
First, at such time and in such manner as they may think best, to sell and convert into money any or all of my real estate.
Second, In case my father survive me, to invest at interest my personal estate and to pay over to him annually the net interest and income thereof, also the use and income of any land and of the proceeds of any land, as long as he shall live.
Third, after father's death, if he survive me, otherwise, as soon as may be after my death, to convert into money all my estate and divide the same into three equal parts and to pay the same, one part to the Cornell Library Association of Ithaca, NY, the interest and incomeonly to be used and expended for the purposes of the Association as may from time to time be found necessary or advisable; one part to the Ithaca City Hospital towards the endowment of a free bed or beds therein for the poor; one part to the Cornell University as an endowment fund, the net income thereof to be used in the purchase of books in the English language for a circulating library for the use of students, graduates. members of the corps of insturction and officers of said University.
Lastly, I hereby appoint my father, ANDREW J. HOWLAND, and WILLIAM HAZLITT SMITH, Esq., executors and trustees of this my Last Will and Testament, hereby revoking all former Wills by me made.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have here unto subscribed my name the 21st day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred ninety-nine.
Signed by witnesses, IRVIN M. HOLMAN and WILLIAM A. HOLMAN

[note: Clinton was the only child of Andrew J. and Hannah Jane (Harvey) Howland. His mother predeceased him in April 1897. His maternal grandparents were Asahel Lovell and Jane Ann (Mack) Harvey, who owned the farm on Mecklenburg Rd., that later was known as the Starline or Marshall Farm. His paternal grandparents were Stephen B. & Sarah Ann (Korts) Howland, who also lived on the Mecklenburg Rd.]

Find a board about a specific topic