Search for content in message boards

VAN BURGER

Replies: 0

VAN BURGER

Anna D (View posts)
Posted: 913204800000
Classification: Will
Surnames: VAN BURGER, DINO, SAWDAY, CORNWELL, COBB, BROWN, CRANE
In the margin of the will: Elisha COBB sole executor named in the last will and testament of JOHN VAN BURGER deceased appeared and no one appeared to oppose an application of the said executor for cause theoero it is decided that the matter of proving will will se; be adjourned to the 17th April instant.

At a Surrogate Court held for the county of Tompkins at the office of the Surrogate of the said County in the town of village of Ithcan on the 7th day of April 1847. April 17 1847
Present Geo G Freer Surrogate Elish Cobb named in the last will and testament of JOHN VAN BURGER late of the town of Groten in said county deceased appeared for the purpose of proving and having the said will recorded according to law and made satisfactory proof that a citation had been served according to law on all the heirs of the said deceased.

an instrument in writing perporting to be the last will and testament of JOHN VAN BURGER late of the town of Groten in said county deceased bearing date the 29th day of December in the year 1846 was produced in court and shown to each of the persons sworn as witnesses as herin after mentioned which said instrument in writing is in the words and figures following towit.
In the name of God amen I JOHN VANBURGER of Grotin county of Tompkins and state of New York of the age of seventysix years and being of sound mind and memory do make publish and declare this my last will and testament in manner following that is to say
First I give and bequeath to my wife VIRTUE DINO VAN BURGER all my household furniture consisting of feus bedding and all the articles used by me in and about my house and business together with the avails of a certain bond and mortgage bearing date October 18th 1841 and recorded in the office of the clerk of Tompkins county May 24 1842 which said mortgage was exectuted by CURTIS SAWDAY of Lansing in said County to me in the 18th day of October aforesaid said firnature and the avails of said mortgage I give to my wife as aforesaid to be used and enjoyed by her while she lives; when she dies then it is my will secondly that the property aforesaid towit the household firnature and whatever may be due on said mortgage or from the avails therof after paying my just debts and the debts of my wife created after my decease and the legacies hereafter (here in a} mentioned be equally divided between my three daughters POLLY BROWN, RACHEL CRANE, & HARRIET SAWDEY--I give and bequeath to my daughter BETSY CORNWELL in addition to what I have heretofore given her one dollar also to my sons JOHN, AMOS, ORREN, WELCOME & HOSEA I giveand bequeath the sum of twelve and a half cents each to be paid out of my estate. Lastly it is my will and I hereby appoint ELISH COBB sole executor of this my last will and testament given under my hand and seal this 29 day of Dec 1846

JOHN VAN BURGER

The above instrument consisiting of of one half sheet was at this date thereof declared to us by H\\John van Burger the testator to be his therin mentioned to be his last will and testament and he as the same time acknowledged to us and each of us that he had signed and sealed the same and we thereupon at his request and in his presence and in the presence of each other signed our names therto as attesting witnesses.

W Tillotson of Lansing Tompkins County
Wm E Walker of Lansing Tompkins County

{Page two contains the statements of the above witnesses regarding signing the will. If anyone is interested in reading it I'll be glad to type it in but it is just the same statement twice that they both saw John sign the will. Anna D.)

Find a board about a specific topic