Search for content in message boards

Will of James Van Order

Replies: 0

Will of James Van Order

Posted: 924760800000
Classification: Will
Edited: 1107424174000
Surnames: Van Order, Ryerson, Devenport
The last will and testament of James VAN ORDER of the Town of Ithaca in the county of Tompkins and State of New York.
I James VAN ORDER considering the uncertainity of this life and being of sound mind and memory do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner following that is to say;
First,- I direct that after my decease my debts shall be paid by my executor herein after named.
Seondly,- I direct that my farm on which I now reside in the Town of Ithaca and County of Tompkins be divided in manner following, that is to say;
Item - I give and devise to my son Moses VAN ORDER five acres of the said farm to be laid of in the north west corner thereof as near as may be in a square form for and during his natural life and in case his wife, Cynthia VAN ORDER shall outlive and survive him, then Moses VAN ORDER I will and direct that she shall and may remain in the possession thereof and receive and enjoy the unto profits and use of the same so long as she shall remain the widow of the said Moses VAN ORDER.
Item - I give and devise to my son John A. VAN ORDER, his heirs and assigns fourteen areas and thirty three hundredths of an acre of said farm to be taken of the west part thereof and south east of the five acres hereby divised to Moses VAN ORDER and to extend from north to south so far as to join one and a half acres to be laid off in the south part of the apple orchard on said farm which is herein otherwise divised.
Item - I give and divise to our son, Abraham VAN ORDER, thirteen and one half acres thereof to be taken off said farm east of the aforesaid fourteen and thirty three hundredths acres of land herein divided to John A. VAN ORDER to have and to hold the same for and during the natural life of the said Abraham VAN ORDER, and should it so happen that Deborah VAN ORDER the wife of the said Abraham Van Order shall outlive and survive him then said Abraham Van Order then and in that case I will and direct that she shall and may thereafter have, hold and enjoy the possession receive and enjoy the use wants and profits of the same for and during the time she shall remain the widow of the said Abraham VAN ORDER.
Item - I give and divise to my son Samuel VAN ORDER his heirs and assigns forever Eighteen acres thoseof to extend across the said farm from north to south on the east side of that part thereof having divised to Abraham VAN ORDER.
Item - I give and divise to my son Frederick VAN ORDER, his heirs and assigns him and a half acre thereof on the east of the said Samuel VAN ORDER and to extend to the east line of said farm.
Item - I give and devise to my sons Abraham VAN ORDER, Frederick VAN ORDER and Samuel VAN ORDER their heirs and assigns forever one and a half acres of said farm bounded on the south and west lines thereof and to extend to the east end of the apple orchard on the said farm and so far north as to include one and a half acre of land.
The above devise and made subject to the right of Dower of my beloved wife, Catharine and I truly declare it to be my will and pleasure that in addition to her dower, she shall have and posess the right to remain & possess in and posess for her own proper use thereof my chief mansion house and my said farm for and during her natural life.
Item - To my said wife I give and bequeath the use of all the household furniture belonging to me at the time of my death for and during her natural life.
Item - After the death of my said wife I give and bequeath unto my two daughters, Mary Ann RYERSON wife of George RYERSON and Nancy Devenport the wife of Solomon DEVENPORT jointly my household furniture aforesaid.
Item - I give and bequeath to Charles O. HART the sum of fifty dollars to be paid by my excutors out of my personal property. And lastly I hereby appoint my friend Lewis STEBBINS and my son John A. VAN ORDER executor of this my last will and testament, hereby canceling all former wills made by me. In witness whereof I have here set my hand and seal this 24th day of April 1838.
Signed, sealed, published and delivered to the above named James VAN ORDER as his last will and Testament in the presence of testators.

James VAN ORDER
Caleb B. Drake of Ithaca
Stephen Jarvis of Ulysses

Find a board about a specific topic