Search for content in message boards

Children of John Francis Lewis and wife Kate nee Unknown, West New Brighton

Replies: 15

Re: UPDATE Daughter found - Re: Children of John Francis Lewis and wife Kate nee Unknown, West New Brighton

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 12:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LEWIS, SKERRITT, WAMBOLD, GOGGIN
I had seen the cross out but hadn't enlarged it enough....you're right, it does look like initially "nephew" was entered then replaced by son.

Harry is still an enigma then....John Francis & Kate's son??? Or maybe a relative of John, Sr. ?? I'm leaning less towards a surprise son of John & Bertha after mulling over mother's place of birth...the enumerator got it right for all the others so one would feel safe in thinking that he would have gotten it right for Harry. Assuming the enumerator didn't make a mistake on the surname for Harry, he would have to be on the LEWIS side to have the LEWIS name.

I'm 99.999....% certain that Harry wouldn't have been from Bertha's side of the family. The children of Bertha LEWIS nee SKERRITT's siblings are accounted for.

Only two of Bertha's siblings passed away before the 1930 census. Both her sister Maria aka Marion and her husband Jacob WAMBOLD passed prior to 1930 however, they had all girls and the youngest daughter lived in 1930 with her married older sister.

Sister Gertrude GOGGIN nee SKERRITT died before 1930. She and her husband Edward GOGGIN had no children.

Sister Ethel SKERRITT was a life long spinster.

Trying to find out to whom Harry LEWIS belonged will probably not be easy.

I haven't been able to get a handle on John Sampson LEWIS' birth family yet. They are still eluding me on the 1880 census even using the search feature at familysearch.org which is usually pretty good for the tricky ones. Unfortunately, by the next census, 1900, John Sampson and Bertha were married.

There are a couple of John LEWIS'es who died after 1930 but since the databases at IGG are transcripts, I can't say for certain which is my John although John Richmond Co. DC# 1647 d. 25 July 1944 is the best fit. I will need to obtain Bertha's DC first then call the cemetery listed on that for info.

My list of vitals certificates to order is bigger than my budget for such things, so I have yet to do that. Once I know when John died and get his DC, I'll learn who his parents were. Then, maybe, I'll be able to find more on John's birth family and see if perhaps Harry LEWIS on the 1930 census is a child of a brother of John's or possibly John Francis' son. Bertha, who didn't die until 1948, was most likely the informant for husband John's DC so the info should be correct.

John Francis LEWIS is buried in Fairview with Ethel SKERRITT. The name plate on the grave marker in the photos I have of the marker are difficult to read due to weathering of the plate but you did find the correct SSDI. I've not called Fairview for burial info or SI Advance for an obit yet, so I know only the month and year for death from the SSDI, as well.

It really helps to have others' input and to think things through so as to explain them to others. I often learn from others or get over the *Duh* factor & discover through the discussion process that I've overlooked something.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and helping me.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mindfoggs2 25 Sep 2008 8:50PM GMT 
jcorcillo2 26 Sep 2008 2:13AM GMT 
mindfoggs2 26 Sep 2008 5:14PM GMT 
jcorcillo2 27 Sep 2008 1:43AM GMT 
mindfoggs2 27 Sep 2008 6:29PM GMT 
jcorcillo2 28 Sep 2008 2:48AM GMT 
mindfoggs2 28 Sep 2008 4:20PM GMT 
michael_spell... 15 Apr 2012 2:01AM GMT 
michael_spell... 15 Apr 2012 2:30AM GMT 
mindfoggs2 15 Apr 2012 4:22PM GMT 
per page