Search for content in message boards

Calling all Barger, Horton, Tompkins, Hills Families of Putnam Valley & Surrounding Areas

Replies: 4

Calling all Barger, Horton, Tompkins, Hills Families of Putnam Valley & Surrounding Areas

Posted: 1521137693000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1521154740000
Surnames: Hills Tompkins Barger Horton
I hope this message will reach someone with helpful information. In researching my 3x great-grandfather, Washington J. Hills (1844-1910) of Putnam Valley, New York (my home town), I attained his death certificate which finally gave me some info about his parentage (no other document contained info about his parents except an unofficial list of all citizens of Putnam Valley that I copied at the historical society, and the same father is shown. The death certificate lists Jedidiah Hills and Sereinia Tompkins as his parents.

In the Adams Corners cemetery, there is a "Jedidiah Hills Ison Horton." Dates work to be Washington's father. Jedidiah's wife was Phebe Barger, daughter of John Barger & Martha Tompkins (although a few paces give her different parents and a different husband). I don't see any reference to another wife for Jed and Phebe died in 1830, so she couldn't have been Washington's mother.

I can't find a record of a Sereinia or Serena Tompkins. Info about her would really help. It's odd that I haven't found one reference to her -- there are so many genealogies of these families that is the name is right, you'd think I'd find *something*.

Some lists of graves at Adams Corners Cemetery (and there are many, as it is historic) don't list Jedediah at all. There is no photos of a headstone, and it is probably one of many that are no longer standing there. So, I can't verify that the inscription read "Jedidiah Hills Ison Horton," as opposed to just Jedediah Hills as it appears in other places.

Why would Jedediah have used "Hills" instead of "Horton," if John L. Horton really was his father and Sarah Lee/Lane his mother? And then his son went by "Hills."

Additionally, I have many DNA matches (and so do my sister, paternal uncle and paternal cousins, most of whose DNA kits I manage) from this area that run right up these family lines so I know the connection is there, but....I WANT PROOF that I have the right parents, etc.

I would appreciate any help or ideas. If you're related to this family and have done a DNA test, please see if we're a match. Thanks!

Lauren McKeon Jenkins
Laurenandkenny@cox.net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Lauren McKeon... 1521137693000 
jtryonb 1521305809000 
Lauren McKeon... 1522020134000 
jtryonb 1522085827000 
Lauren McKeon... 1522167898000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic