Search for content in message boards

Irish Immigrants in 19th Century Cold Spring

Replies: 7

Re: Irish Immigrants in 19th Century Cold Spring

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 6:50PM GMT
Classification: Query

My g grandafther was also named Cornelius Murphy (I don't think any relation)and was a Moulder at the Cold Spring Foundry. Most of the thousand workers at Foundry were Irish Catholic, and Our Lady of Loretto was the first Catholic church to be built above 14th street in Manhattan to lure and keep the Irish mechanics at the Foundry and families in Cold Spring.
The original church is a stunning structure situated on the banks of the Hudson. The second church on Fair Street is also little changed by time and and a joy to visit. The folks at Loretto were wonderful about doing look-ups and seemed as pleased as I was when they found my g grandparents wedding record from 1855.

Most of the Foundry workers and family were buried in the Cold Spring cemetery. I was not able to locate my Murphy family plot, but I called the cemetery and spoke to a wonderful man who looked up my kin and gave me the location of the graves. I'm sorry I can't provide that contact info.

If you are looking for the location of houses, the 1867 Beers map lists owners for Cold Spring and vicinity. You can find the map at DavidRumsey.com

Interestingly, I believe a Quinn was a witness to my grandparents wedding, or a godparent. I remember the name and will check that info when I get home. Maybe we're related? ;)

Good Luck!

Best,
Lori Kemp
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jack Murphy 8 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Tom Sartori 10 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT 
VinceKnapp 10 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT 
barbjohnson87... 27 Jun 2002 5:02PM GMT 
JERRY THORNE 9 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
squinnmurray 27 Aug 2011 5:32PM GMT 
Kemp_Lori 4 Mar 2012 1:50AM GMT 
ColleenCosgro... 18 Mar 2012 12:27AM GMT