Search for content in message boards

Daniel Meeker/Johnstown 1829

Replies: 0

Daniel Meeker/Johnstown 1829

Posted: 988027200000
Classification: Will
Edited: 1145144105000
Surnames: MEEKER, HOVEY, NEWTON, DEGRAFF, HEACOCK, SACKETT, DENNIS, DAWLEY, JEFFERS, lEROY
Will of Daniel Meeker, Johnstown, NY 1829

I Daniel Meeker of Johnstown in the County of Montgomery & State of New York viewing the uncertainty of this life and in order to make a disposition of my property as I deem just. Do make and publish this my last will and testament as follows. Firstly, I order and direct my Executrix and Executor herein after named to bury my body in a decent and Christian like manner and pay all my just debts and funeral expenses out of my personal estate and also to pay the mortgage to Cornelius Dennis or so such thereof so that the land devised to my John be clear. Secondly, I give and devise unto my son John all that certain piece of land I purchased of Job Heacock situated in Johnstown estimated at forty-two and a half acres to have and to hold the same to him and his heirs and assignors forever. Thirdly, I give and devise unto my son Silas all that piece of land situate in the township of Tully and is that part of number nine conveyed to me by James Sackett to have and to hold the same to him for and during his natural life and no longer. Fourthly, I give and desire the last mentioned piece of land from and after the decease of my son Silas to such lawful child or children of my said son Silas as shall be living at the time of his decease. To have and to hold to such child or children and to his, her or their heirs and assignors forever as tenants in common. Fifthly, I give and bequeath to my said son Silas on thousand dollars to be paid to him in provisions and clothing in twenty equal annual payments the first payment to be made within sixty days after my decease to have and to hold the same to him and his heirs and executors administrators and assignors forever. Sixthly, I give and bequeath unto my daughter Susanna the wife of Joseph Newton six hundred dollars to be paid to her in provisions and clothing in twelve equal annual payments, the first payment to be paid and made in one year after my decease. Provided however the said Joseph and Susanna shall jointly and severely before any payment is made in virtue of this section give a full discharge and release for all other claims and demands upon or against my executors and estate to have and to hold the same to her and her heirs executors administrators or assignors forever. Seventhly, I give and bequeath unto my daughter Anna the wife of Elias Dawley six hundred dollars in provisions and clothing in twelve equal annual payments the first payment to be made in three years after my decease to have and to hold the same to her and her heirs executors, administrators and assignors forever. Eighthly, I give and bequeath unto my son Daniel the sum of five dollars to be paid to him within three days after he demands the same to have and to hold the same to him his heirs executors administrators and assignors forever. Ninthly, I give and bequeath unto my son Isaac M. Meeker six hundred dollars to be paid to him within twelve years after my decease to have and to hold the same to him and his heirs, executors administrators and assignors forever. Tenthly, I give and bequeath to each of my grand daughters Sally M. Hovey and Polly P. Hovey each one hundred and fifty dollars to be paid to them respectively their heirs, executors administrators and assignors forever. Eleventhly, I give and bequeath unto my daughter Lovina Hovey the sum of three hundred dollars to be paid to her in six equal payments the first payment to be made within one year after my decease and the residue in five equal annual payments thereafter to have and to hold the same to her and her heirs executors administrators and assignors forever. Twelfthly, I give and bequeath unto my grand daughters Caroline and Susan the daughters of my son Daniel each the sum of three hundred dollars to be paid in twelve equal annual payments the first payment to be made in years after my decease to have and to hold the same to them respectively and their heirs executors administrators and assignors, forever. Thirteenthly, I give and bequeath to Eliza Meeker the daughter of Elizabeth DeGraff the sum of two hundred dollars to be paid to her if she arrives to the age of eighteen years to have and to hold the same to her and her executors administrators and assignors forever. Fourteenthly, I give devise and bequeath unto Sarah my beloved wife one third of the rest of my real estate and one third for the rest of my personal estate that shall be left after the payment of my debts and funeral expenses to have and hold the same to her for and during her natural life and no longer provided however that this devise and bequest to her shall be in him? Of all her right of title or claim of dower if in or to all my estate and that she shall within three months after my decease declare in writing and deliver the same to the executor appointed by this will and in default there of all provisions devises and bequests made to her shall be null and void. Fifteenthly, I give and devise all the rest and residue of my estate both real and personal to my son Moses Meeker to have and to hold the same to him for and during his natural life and no longer hereby ordering and directing him to pay the legacies and bequests to the persons herein before mentioned and directed and I do hereby order and direct the same to be on him and charge on my real estate (except the pieces devised to my sons Silas and John) but the pieces devised to my said wife are not to be taken away by those legacies and bequests from her whilst she is living on account of them under any pretense. Sixteenthly, I give and devise the rest and residue of my real estate after the respective deaths of my said wife and son Moses to such lawful child and children of said son Moses as shall be living at the time of his death to have and to hold the same to such child or children and his her and their heirs and assignors forever. Seventeenthly I order and direct that neither my personal estate nor my executors herein after shall be bound or held for the payment of the aforesaid legacies and bequests or either or any of them but the same shall be exonerated and discharged there from but the said Moses and the said real estate herein before mentioned for that purpose shall be bound and liable for the same. Eighteenthly, I further authorize and empower my executors jointly and severally in his her or their direction in the event of the non-payments of the legacies and bequests or more delivery of the food and clothing from time to time to sell so much of the real estate chargeable with the same as rule be necessary to pay the same from time to time and sale maybe made at auctions or private sale at the discretion of the one so selling and on such sale to execute a conveyance in fee for the parts so sold and in case my said executors either jointly of severally decline selling it is to be understood and allowed that it is not to prevent the redress to the party the same as if this power or authority had not been given to my executors. Nineteenthly and lastly, I hereby nominate and appoint my beloved wife Sarah executrix and my friend Solomon Jeffers executor of this my last will and testament In witness thereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this nineteenth day of January in the year Eighteen hundred and twenty nine. Daniel Meeker

Witnessed by Daniel W. LeRoy, George Jeffers, and Solomon Jeffers

Find a board about a specific topic