Search for content in message boards

Lewis Humphrey ROBERTS obituaries, died 1915 in Watertown

Replies: 2

Lewis Humphrey ROBERTS obituaries, died 1915 in Watertown

Posted: 6 Mar 2007 5:52AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: ROBERTS, DANKS, LAPATRA, KELLY / KELLEY, KREISCHER, KEELING
[I have gathered four obituaries for this Civil War veteran, who was my great-great-grandfather. Here's the first—unidentified, undated, and unattributed, it was found by me in 1994, in the form of a typewritten transcript tucked into our old Kreischer family Bible. This obituary may have originally appeared in a Syracuse, NY newspaper, but I have not yet found it. Lewis Roberts died in Watertown, NY on December. 24, 1915, according to numerous other sources. This obituary transcript was my first roadmap and source of clues for researching this man’s biography, which I have recently uploaded to my website:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mstone/lewishrobert...

When I first found this obituary, I didn’t even know who this man was. Each of the four versions of his obituary offers slightly different clues. Please contact me if you know any more about him or this family. Thanks.]

WELL-KNOWN VETERAN
Passing of Lewis H. Roberts in Watertown
at the Age of 86.

Watertown, Jan. 6 [1916].—Lewis Humphrey Roberts, a well-known and highly respected civil war veteran, aged 86, passed away recently at the family home, 8 Duffy Street, after a week's illness, due to pneumonia and a return of troubles resulting from wounds and Bright's disease contracted in the war. He was born of Welsh parents in Boston on February 26, 1831, the son of David and Catherine Roberts, in which city his early life was spent amid a coterie of noted American literary celebrities and statesmen. For a number of years he was organ blower for Rev. Dr. Lowell, father of James Russell Lowell, in his church. Mr. Roberts has traveled extensively, going to Wales when a young man and was at Liverpool in 1851 and saw Prince Albert and the Duke of Wellington lay the corner stone of the Victoria and Albert dock. Returning to his country, he for a time, lived at California and New York City, later going to Wisconsin, where he followed the occupation of a mechinist [machinist].

At the outbreak of the civil war Mr. Roberts enlisted in the Seventh Battery, Wisconsin Light Artillery, and during the service there rose from rank of private to sergeant major and later was in the great southwest campaign under Grant, being promoted to mounted orderly on the Staff of General Rosecrans. He was wounded at the battle of Chancellorsville [sic; not true] and at the battle of Corinth he was struck in the head by a piece of shell, the result being nearly fatal. He was then discharged for disability and returned to Boston. Later he enlisted in the service and was detailed to Sackets Harbor, where he acted in the capacity of regimental bookkeeper for several years.

In August, 1868, he married Miss Ellen A. Roberts, daughter of Otis and Esther Roberts, and shortly after retired from service and moved to Galloups Island, where seven children were born to them, two of whom died when young men. At one time he was a member of the Joe Spratt Post of Watertown [G.A.R.] and later transferred to Joseph K. Barnes Post of Sackets Harbor and was a member at the time of his death. He was on a furlough for several years at the National Soldiers' Home, Virginia. He leaves to mourn the loss, besides his widow, the following children: Jerome L. Roberts of Brooklyn, Miss [corrected by hand to read “Mrs.”] Neille [sic; Nellie] Kreischer, of Syracuse, and Mrs. Etta Danks, Mrs. Clara Lapatra, and Mrs. Elizabeth Kelley of Watertown. Owing to the serious illness of the widow prayers were said privately at the family home and the funeral service was held at Faith Chapel. Rev. James H. Keeling officiated. Internment was made in the family plot at North Watertown Cemetery.

[continued in next post...]
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
m1chellestone 6 Mar 2007 12:52PM GMT 
m1chellestone 6 Mar 2007 12:54PM GMT 
m1chellestone 14 Mar 2007 10:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic