Re: Mary Heimlich and Charles Chambers

Posted: 1533654743000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1533655116000
Surnames: Heimlich/Heimlick
From FultonHistory -

Buffalo Courier
Wednesday, May 20, 1914

HEIMLICH - In this city, May 18, 1914, Frederick, husband of Mary Heimlich, father of Mrs. Frank Helser, Mrs. Charles Chambers and Mrs. Patrick Flanigan. Funeral from the residence of his son-in-law, Frank Helser, No. 179 Chicago Street, Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Friends are invited to attend.

This confirms that Mary's maiden name was in fact Heimlich as you suspected. Her parents were Frederick and Mary Heimlich. She had two sisters - you can probably find more info about them pretty easily now that you have their husbands' names and at least one address as well.

Here's the death index record for Frederick. You can use the certificate number to obtain a copy of the actual certificate which (hopefully) will include his parents names, birth date, etc:

Name: Frederick Heimlich
Death Date: 18 May 1914
Death Place: Buffalo, New York, USA
Certificate Number: 27718

Buffalo Courier
Sunday, February 22, 1920

HEIMLICK - On Feb 19, 1920, Mary, wife of the late Frederick Heimick, mother of Mrs. Frank Helser, Mrs. Patrick Flanagan and Mrs. Charles Chambers. Funeral from the residence of her son-in-law, Frank Helser, No. 179 Chicago Street. Monday morning at 7:45, and from St. Brigid's church at 8 o'clock. Friends are invited to attend. Burial at Holy Cross cemetery.

Now you have Mary's mother's (Mary) death date, place of funeral and place of burial! Familysearch has St. Brigid's records in their catalog (if you don't know how to pull these up, let me know and I'll be happy to help).

***Note that the spelling here is Heimlick with a "K" rather than an "H"

Name: Frank Helser
Residence Year: 1931
Street address: rear 179 Chicago
Residence Place: Buffalo, New York, USA
Spouse: Louise Helser
Publication Title: Buffalo, New York, City Directory, 1931

We know this is the correct Frank because the obituary address matches. So one of Mary's sisters is named Louise (Heimlich) Helser.

Buffalo Evening News
Thursday, March 13, 1941

HELSER - Louise Helser (nee Heimlich), in this city, March 11, 1941, wife of the late Frank, mother of Albert Helser; sister of Mrs. Minnie Rettke of Los Angeles, Cal., and Mrs. Mame Chambers. Funeral from her son's residence, 61 Lilac Street, Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Friends invited to attend.

Jackpot. So now we know that Mary (Heimlich) Chambers had two sisters named Louise and Minnie. We can use this information to find them on census records as children.

In the 1892 NYS Census:
Name: Mary Heimlich
Birth Year: abt 1881
Birth Place: United States
Citizenship: Citizen
Residence Place: Buffalo, Erie
Ward: Ward 08
Election District: 01

If you pull this up, you see that the other household members are:

Fred Heimlich, age 40 (born abt 1852), birthplace: NY, Occupation: Brewer
Mary Heimlich, age 39 (born abt 1853), birthplace: NY
Louise Heimlich, age 17 (born abt 1875), birthplace: NY
Caroline Heimlich, age 16 (born abt 1876), birthplace: NY
Minnie Heimlich, age 14 (born abt 1878), birthplace: NY
Mary Heimlich, age 11 (born abt 1881), birthplace: NY
Fred Heimlich, age 8 (born abt 1884), birthplace: NY

TONS of info here.
From everything above, you know know Mary (Heimlich) Chambers' birth date, death date, birth place, siblings, parents and parents' birth dates and death dates.

Using the info for Fred Heimlich, born 1852 -
In the 1865 NYS Census:

Name: Fred J Heimlick
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Year: abt 1852
Residence: Buffalo, Erie, New York, USA
District: 02
Ward: 4
Line Number: 34
Page Number: 59
Household Members:
Name Age
Fred Heimlick 48
Mary Heimlick 47
Louisa Heimlick 19
Fred J Heimlick 13
John G Heimlick 11
Louisa C Heimlick 9

It looks like Fred Heimlich (born 1852)'s parents were Fred and Mary Heimlich/Heimlick as well.

His father, also named Fred, was born about 1817 in Germany.
His mother, named Mary, was born about 1818, also in Germany.
At the time of the 1865 Census, Fred (b. 1817) indicated that he was Naturalized...

From the 1850 Federal Census:

Name: Frederick Heimlich
Birth Year: abt 1820
Birthplace: France
Home in 1850: Buffalo Ward 4, Erie, New York, USA
Family Number: 1797
Household Members:
Name Age
Frederick Heimlich 30
Mary Heimlich 30
Louis F Heimlich 4

This notes that Fred (born about 1817)'s birthplace was France. Since the 1865 Census lists his birthplace as Germany, I'd start looking at places along the French/German border. (I had this same scenario come up with one of my husband's ancestors - I ended up finding the family in Baden-Baden, Germany, right next to the French border).

The 1850 Census notes that Fred's occupation was "matchmaker". There's a record on Ancestry for an 1850 Federal Non Population Census that notes Fred is the owner of a matchmaking business and employs two people on average.

Note that a generic search of the surname "Heimlich", living in Buffalo, born approx 1815 also turns up someone by the name of Christian Heimlich. He is also a matchmaker, born in France about 1815 and living in Buffalo. I doubt this is a coincidence. Take a closer look at Christian too.

From the 1855 NYS Census:

Name: Friedrick Heimlich
Birth Year: abt 1819
Relation to Head: Head
Residence: Buffalo City, Ward 4, Erie, New York, USA
Household number: 1133
Line Number: 38
Household Members:
Name Age
Friedrick Heimlich 36
Maria Heimlich 35
Louis F Heimlich 9
John F Heimlich 3
Charles Heimlich 2

This one says Fred has lived in this city (Buffalo) for 28 years... that would mean he arrived in Buffalo at about age 8, so we can infer that he immigrated with his parents on or before 1827. Maria has lived in this city for 15 years at the time of the 1855 Census (putting her arrival on or before 1840)

From the 1860 Federal Census:

Name: Fredrick Heimlich
Birth Year: abt 1818
Birth Place: France
Home in 1860: Buffalo Ward 4, Erie, New York
Post Office: Buffalo
Dwelling Number: 513
Family Number: 697
Real Estate Value: 2500
Personal Estate Value: 3000
Household Members:
Name Age
Fredrick Heimlich 42
Mary Heimlich 41
Louis F Heimlich 14
Fredrick J Heimlich 7
John G Heimlich 6
Caroline Heimlich 4
Jacob Heimlich 76

Could Jacob Heimlich (age 76, born approx 1784) be Fred (born abt 1817)'s elderly father that is now living with them??

This should get you started. Keep growing your tree and don't forget to take extra care looking into the siblings of your target person - I've found that sibling records can often give you a clue that helps break through a brick wall. I would pay special attention to Fred (1817)'s siblings - one of them has to be the key to finding the parents' names (Jacob Heimlich and... ??) Ancestry has really great indexes to a lot of old German records - I've had TONS of luck using the databases with my husband's Baden-Baden, Germany ancestors.

Good luck to you!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Brandy Boehle... 1533565759000 
browsetree 1533581469000 
Brandy Boehle... 1533581663000 
Shawne Jennif... 1533654743000 
Brandy Boehle... 1533658868000 
Shawne Jennif... 1533737841000 
Brandy Boehle... 1533760089000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic