Search for content in message boards

Can You Solve This Mystery? Pagano + Buffalo, New York

Replies: 1

Can You Solve This Mystery? Pagano + Buffalo, New York

Posted: 1524377971000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pagano
Hi! Can you help me solve this mystery?

My GGGF Francesco "Frank" Pagano immigrated to Buffalo, New York from Scafati, Italy, landing at Ellis Island on April 13, 1905. The ship manifest says he is going to meet his cousin Antonio Pagano, who lives at 25th St. E. Buffalo, NY. (This address does not seem to currently exist.)

I am trying to find this Antonio (and maybe even some living cousins of mine through him), who I assume anglicized to Anthony/Tony at some point. Digging through Italian archives I have found a cousin of Frank's named Antonio who was born in Scafati to my ancestor's uncle Francesco Pagano and Anella Catalano on 1 Oct 1860. I am not 100% sure this is the same man, but it seems the most likely scenario because as far as I'm aware Frank only had one other paternal uncle who could've fathered an Antonio Pagano, and he didn't.

The problem is, I can't seem to find this Antonio/Anthony/Tony Pagano in the 1905 New York State Census. The closest it comes is a Tony Paginio (see attached file), who is the right age and living in Buffalo Ward 11 on what looks like Cambria St. He even has an Italian Frank boarding with him, but it lists that man's last name as George. Paginio never appears in any other place - can I assume these are just strange errors and he is indeed my man?

The only other lead is an Antonio Pagano in New York born 5 years too late and living in Brooklyn. Frank doesn't appear anywhere I can find until the 1915 state census, which lists him living in Cheektowaga with his wife Gelsomina "Jessie" and their seven children.

Any ideas are appreciated!
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Weston Pagano 1524377971000 
HeuristicsInc 1524577975000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic