Search for content in message boards

BACKUS and HATCH connection

Replies: 4

BACKUS and HATCH connection

Rose Wolford (View posts)
Posted: 1094047271000
Classification: Query
I was in my Washington County, NY Historian's office and reading through correspondence left in the office by persons researching the name BACKUS, HATCH, WATROUS.
The mail was first written in 1969 by a Mrs Willis E Chase, then of Michigan.
In 1989 Mrs Chase again writes the Historian's office and still looking for her connection. She wrote the following:
My great great grandmother was POLLY BACKUS HATCH, born between 1800 and 1805, the daughter of John Backus (born Canterbury, CT) and Jerusha Baker. POLLY BACKUS married DAVID HATCH, son of Henry Hatch & Rhoda Griffith of Washington County, NY.
My great great grandfather was Austin WATROUS (6th generation) who married SALLY BACKUS April 11, 1799 in Granville, Washington Co, NY. Sally BACKUS was the daughter of Benjamin BACKUS WATROUS (7th generation) born in Granville, Washington County July 30, 1803.

I then thought of coming to the Courtland Co boards and searching whether anyone was working on David Hatch--whom I had no idea of where he went or whom he married. This letter of Mrs Chase was my first clue.

I came up with 2 messages that pertained to that which I seek further information on here in Cortland Co.
Jim Cooke posted in Oct 1999 about Jay Backus White, whose father was Isaac White and Morther MINERVA HATCH.
In response, Heather M Metheny posted in Mar 2000 that she was researching Minerva HATCH'S SISTER, Mary Louise HATCH.

I want to thank all those above for CONNECTING ME. While I am not a Direct Decendant of this particular HATCH family, David and his father Henry are in my Hatch tree, steming from
Henry Hatch's parents MATHEW HATCH AND FREELOVE SHERMAN.
Jim and Heather: if you read this, do contact me. Now you're connected many generations back, by connection David Hatch to his parent, Henry Hatch of Hatch Hill, Washington Co, NY

In the meantime, I seek information on the lives of David Hatch and wife Polly Backus of their time spent in Cortland Co, in Freetown and Solon townships.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Rose Wolford 1094047271000 
Brendon 1127073940000 
Brendon 1127077828000 
iamcasey36 1179960971000 
rangerrose 1469494819000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic