Search for content in message boards

Harford Mills 1880 death

Replies: 1

Harford Mills 1880 death

Posted: 1391925604000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barnes, Murdoch, Murdock
This article gives a number of clues, I just need some help finding further information. Another article in Bringhamton NY Broome Republican said the peddler's name was Edwin Barnes and lived in Ithaca. I need help finding out who this Edwin (Edward) is. I believe he may me my lost ancestor who I've been searching for these past 20 years. I believe he was married to Mary Emma (Murdoch) Barnes in Ithaca, NY. Where can I look for land records, or possibly the name of his invalid brother? I have copied the Harford Mills newspaper below. The other article tells more of the story of his death and indicated his name as Edwin and he lived in Ithaca. He is buried in the Harford Cemetery in Harford.(Find a Grave) Thank you Claudia

30 Jul 1880

Harford Mills

Last Friday afternoon about sundown, Mr. Edward BARNES, who has peddled tin through the country for several years, was trying to bind some sacks of paper rags upon his wagon in front of the old hotel in Harford, he stood upon the forward part of the wagon with his back to the horses, pulling upon a rope which he had passed over the sacks and fastened to the back part of the wagon, suddenly the rope broke, letting him fall backwards between his horses upon the wagon tongue. The horses became frightened, dashed forward and commenced to run. Mr. BARNES kept his position upon the tongue by clinging to the harness. The horses came near running over several persons, but soon ran against a tree near the Congregational church. The tongue struck the tree and broke. The horses were thrown to the ground on each side of the tree. Mr. BARNES was thrown between the heavily loaded wagon and the tree and was crushed and mangled in a terrible manner, his head was badly bruised, and an iron bolt penetrated his side, tearing some of his ribs from the back bone. He was picked up insensible and died in a few minutes. He leaves a wife and two children. He was also the main dependence of an invalid brother, who bitterly mourns his loss. Mr. BARNES was industrious and economical. We understand that he had bought a farm and succeeded in paying for it; he also owned the team which he drove.
"No farther seek his merits to disclose,
Or draw his frilties from their dread abode;
(They are alike in trembling hope repose),
The bosom of his Father and his God."

Died. BARNES - In Harford, Friday, July 23d, 1880, Edwin BARNES, aged 31 years.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jonathanboggs... 1391925604000 
burkgar 1486244506000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic