Search for content in message boards

HIRAM A. HAIGHT

Replies: 1

HIRAM A. HAIGHT

Posted: 988718400000
Classification: Query
Edited: 995191531000
Surnames: HAIGHT, SHELDON, EDSON, HOLCOMB, BOOTH
I have copies of two very old letters from Chautaugua Co. The first written May 3, 1830 from Volusia [Mayville] Chautaugua Co. NY - to Eliza Sheldon Higby in Willsboro, Essex Co., NY - cousin to Hiram A. Haight. in 1830 Hiram states that he was working in the land office when there was a 'riot' - and that his wife would keep the Post Office. Letter specifically mentions 'John' 'Bosworth' 'Daniel' 'Charlotte' - siblings? of Hiram A. Haight and 'mother'. States that he sees Judge and Mrs Holcombs and the Booths frequently.

By Dec 31, 1843 he writes his cousin Eliza again - from Westfield, Chautaugua Co. mentioning that he worked the census of 1840 - clearing over $900 - a virtual Chamber of Commerce letter bragging upon the virtues of Westfield and how many different types of professional people lived in town, no drinking, number of churches. Oldest daughter was named 'Volusia Ann'and he 'kept' her in school year round at a wonderful academy across the street from his house. Hiram mentions another younger daughter, but not by name. He also states that he worked on the election board Nov. 7, 1843 and missed visiting with friends from Willsboro who were traveling through town.

I found an 'Elizabeth Haight - wife of Hiram H. Mar. 26, 1844 Ag 35'- buried in the Westfield Cemetery, Chautaugua Co.

Can anyone shed light on this family. I am trying to find the father of Hiram A. Haight - believe it to be Henry Haight. Family originates in Nine Pardners, Dutchess Co. NY - moves from there shortly after the Rev. War to Willsboro, Essex Co., NY - and the family saved these two letters from Hiram to his 'cousin' Eliza Sheldon Higby [her mother was Mary Ann Haight - youngest daughter of Capt. Caleb Haight and Elizabeth Allen - Mary Ann Haight married Joseph Sheldon in Willsboro and died there just short of her 100 birthday].

Willing to exchange copies of the letters for any information on this family. I am sure that anyone collecting the town history of Westfield would be especially interested in the second 1843 letter.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
4Sandi 988718400000 
crackquilter 1535551213000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic