Search for content in message boards

Dorothy Mae Morehouse Mackey born Westfield 1912

Replies: 2

Dorothy Mae Morehouse Mackey born Westfield 1912

Mary Anne MacKey-Wisor (View posts)
Posted: 1130078897000
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Morehouse, Lincoln

1. DOROTHY MAE2 MOREHOUSE (OSCAR1)1,2 was born June 28, 1912 in Westfield, Chautauqua County, New York3, and died March 20, 1983 in Franklin, Venango County, Pennsylvania 163233,4. She married SAMUEL B. MACKEY5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 July 31, 1936 in Zelienople, Mercer County, Pennsylvania14. He was born December 20, 1901 in Glenalin, Anton, Northern Ireland14,15,16,16,16,16, and died July 02, 1982 in Franklin, Venango County, Pennsylvania USA1632317.
Notes for DOROTHY MAE MOREHOUSE: WORLD NEWS for 1912 Iceberg sinks Titanic drowning 1,595 Passengers--A Statue of Nefertiti discovered in Egypt--China becomes a republic--French doctor discovers cancer microbe--Woodrow Wilson elected President--Ty Cobb wins batting crown with record .420--Girl Scouts Founded under the name of Girl Guides MUSIC for 1912 It's a Long, Long way to Tipperary--Moonlight Bay--My Melancholy Baby--Be my little Bumble Bee AT THE MOVIES The Musketeers of Pig Alley SPORTS NEWS Boston Marathon Michael Ryan 2 hours, 21 minutes and 18 seconds--Baseball World Series Boston Red Sox--Indianapolis 500 1930 MPH Joe Dawson PRICES Average Income 1,209--New Car 650--New House 3,395--Loaf of bread .04--Gallon of Gas .11--Gallon of Milk .35--Gold Per ounce 20.67--Silver per ounce .45--Dow Jones Average 90 PRESIDENT William Taft VICE PRESIDENT James Sherman INVENTIONS Diesel Locomotive--Auto Automatic Pilot--Mercury Vapor Lamp--Wind Tunnel LIFE EXPECTANCY 50.5 years.
Her birth is recorded in the State Department of Health, Executive Division 84 Holland Avenue Albany, New York. 12208 Certificate number 37333. She was born in Westfield New York. Lena's mother lived in Buffalo at the time and sent Lena home to her grandmother. Dorothy was born in a building that used to be an old chicken coop. She celebrated her birthday on June 28th all of her life. When she went to apply for her social security her birth certificate stated June 29th. She was born very close to midnight. Her mother thought the 28th and the doctor wrote the 29th. After that her children used to tease her and have two birthdays.
Dorothy and her mother Lena were hospitalized in Ernest Wene Hospital in Buffalo, New York, March 3rd, 1917, with Scarlet fever. Dot was there for 43 days and Lena was there 30 days. Mrs. Clara Jackson Dot's grandmother came and signed her out of the hospital and took her home. (Mary Anne has a copy of the discharge papers in her mother's file) They lived at 93 Genesee Street in Buffalo. Dorothy remembered that her mother had long black hair that almost touched the floor. When they were admitted Lena was put in a straight jacket and all her hair was cut off. She remembered seeing her mothers' long locks of hair fall to the floor as she screamed. Lena was so delirious that she escaped from the straight jacket and had to be separated from her daughter and put into confinement. This sight lived with her the rest of her life even though she was only five years old at the time. Dorothy remembered being put in several washtubs of different colors (of antiseptic) before she could leave the hospital with her grandmother. Their last name was signed MOOREHOUSE.
Dorothy received an award in 3rd grade from the Department of Instruction City of Buffalo, Jan. 1923 school # 31. ( A copy of the certificate is in her file.)It was for excellence in writing. Dorothy had beautiful handwriting all her life. When she was a child in school the teachers would tie her left hand behind her back so she would use her right hand. But she remained left handed. Another incident that Dorothy spoke was when she ran out into the street coming home from school. She ran between two parked cars. Dorothy was hit and had a hole in her skull that was stuffed with cotton. She always had a soft spot there. She was in a brand new dress and was afraid that her mother was going to be mad at her for getting it dirty and running out into the street without looking.
As a child she was emotionally abused by her different step-fathers and may have been physically abused. She talked of being shut out of her house by Mr. Young. He would lock the door and she would walk a few blocks to her grandmother Clara's house. This was in a bad part of the city of Buffalo along the docks. She said that after moving to Pennsylvania they lived in Foster homes that were arranged through the salvation army in Oil City. hey moved to Fertigs Pennsylvania and lived with Lena's sister Edith. They lived in Conneaut, Ohio, Oil City, Pennsylvania, Rocky Grove.
Dorothy was a life long member of the girl scouts. She maintained her membership with the keystone talltree girl scout council. A copy of a signed card dated May 1964 is located in her file.
Dorothy said that her sister Norma's dad was the one she loved the most. She called him Daddy Jake. My sister Dorothy Mackey Shaffer saw a certificate in our attic that was an award from the salvation army and it had the name Dorothy Reinhardt. We could not find the certificate after she died.
" The Senior Class of Oil City High School Commencement Exercises Friday evening, June twelfth eight o'clock at the Drake Theater in Oil, City Pennsylvania." Graduation Announcement. Invitation is enclosed in her file.
Dorothy and Sam dated for ten years. Dorothy broke up with his for awhile and dated a Roger Williams or Roger Martin, a teacher at the high school. He taught her many things that she had never had the chance to do. One example was to ride a horse. She also had several pieces of beautiful jewelry that he gave her. Her best friend was Miss Pinney another teacher. They did many things together. One was learning how to Swim. Something happened between them. Miss Pinney married and moved to Coudersport, Pennsylvania.
She joined Rocky Grove Presbyterian Church under Rev. Moorehead, Clerk of session Leo Richards. She was an avid reader often starting a book and not putting it down until it was finished. She was an expert in crochet. She had a active membership in the Keystone Tall Tree Girl Scout Council, Franklin.
--- As appeared in the Oil City Derrick Newspaper and is enclosed in her file.
" Local Woman badly burned. Dress Ignites from open flame while bathing her baby. Mrs. Samuel Mackey, of 24 Halyday Street, is a patient in the Oil City hospital suffering from serious burns sustained Wednesday when her dress caught fire from an open stove in the bathroom of the family residence while she was bathing her infant child. Hospital officials said today that Mrs Mackey is suffering from second degree burns. Her condition today is said to be fair, and she is expected to recover.
Mrs. Mackey sustained the burns Wednesday morning. She was in the act of leaning over her baby when her dress swept into the flames and caught fire. Flames enveloped her instantly and she received severe burns before she managed to extinguish the flames. She was rushed to the hospital, where it was found the blaze had seared her from the bottom of her dress to her neck. Hospital representatives said that though the burns are exceedingly painful and Mrs. Mackey suffered shock, her condition is not critical today, and barring complications her recovery is expected. She will probably have to remain at the local institution for several weeks."
Dorothy's favorite entertainer was Bing Crosby. When she spoke about him Sam would get jealous. When she died their was an autographed picture and a news clipping celebrating 40 years of show business in her drawer.
Marquita Blum in a letter to her niece Mary Anne, after Dorothy had died, stated: Dorothy really had to go through a lot! All these siblings and heartache! But - let no one, NO ONE, say we were half-sisters, because we would have had a battle! We were sisters - period! Dorothy took us under her 'wing ', and was our tender care giver. We loved her devotedly. Oh! she could have a TEMPER, at times but they weren't aimed at us. Mostly - Lee (step-father). She told him that he should be supporting us, not Mom having to do it. Norma and I loved her, and still miss her after all these years. She is safe in his arms, I know! Your Mom was very intelligent woman. When she graduated, she was chosen to be secretary for the Principal of the Senior High School. What and honor!" The letter is enclosed in Kitty's file
Dorothy was a housewife and her greatest joy was to be a good mother. Before she was married she worked as a secretary for the Oil City High School in Oil City. She was the 5th cousin of Abraham Lincoln according to family tradition.
As appeared in the News-Herald, Franklin, Pennsylvania March 21, 1983: Dorothy Mackey was an avid reader. Mrs. Dorothy M. Mackey, 70 of 214 Elm Street, died in the Franklin Hospital at 6:20 P.M. Sunday.
She was born in Westfield, New York, June 28, 1912, a daughter of Oscar and Lena Golden Morehouse. She was the fifth cousin of President Abraham Lincoln.
She was married to Samuel B. Mackey July 31, 1936 and he died July 2, 1982.
She spent much of her life in this are and was a member of the Rocky Grove Avenue Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Mackey enjoyed her home and loved to crochet. She was an avid reader and pursued many interesting topics through this hobby.
She is survived by three sons, Joseph L. Mackey of Lancaster, John E. Mackey of Stroudsburg, and Larry S. Mackey of Franklin; two daughters, Mrs. Orah (Dorothy) Shaffer of Franklin and the Rev. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor of Mooresville; two sisters, Mrs. Jay (Marquita) Blum of Kennerdell and Mrs. Robert (Norma) Disharoon of Oil City; 11 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
The body is at the Robert W. Gardinier Funeral Home where friends may call from 7 to 9 P.M. today and 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 P.M. Tuesday.
Funeral services will be conducted there at 10 A.M. Wednesday by the Rev. Kevin Bausman, pastor of Rocky Grove Presbyterian Church, and the Rev. Joseph Stains of Sugarcreek United Methodist Church. Interment will be at Sunset Memorial Gardens in Seneca. " "The Rev. Kevin Bausman read Psalms 23, 'Beautiful Isle of Somewhere,' ' The rose beyond the wall,' 'Crossing of the Bar,' ' In the Garden,' and 'An Irish Blessing' Pallbearers were Mike Blum, Ron Disharoon, Jeff Mackey, Larry Horner, Jim Graham and Larry Mackey. Attending from out of town were Jack and Isabelle Hershelman, Wilmington, Delaware; Larry and Sue Horner, Stoneboro; the Joe Mackey's for Lancaster; the John Mackey's from Stroudsburg; the Rev. William Mackey-Wisor's of Petersburg." The clipping is enclosed in her file.
Oil City Derrick March 21, 1983 "Mrs. Dorothy M. Mackey, 70, of 214 Elm Street, Franklin, widow of Samuel B. Mackey, died at 6:20 P.M. Sunday in the Franklin Hospital. Born June 28th, 1912 in Westfield, New York, she was the daughter of Oscar and Lena Golden Morehouse. Mrs. Mackey, a housewife, was a member of the Rocky Grove United Presbyterian Church.. She was an avid reader and loved to crochet.
Mrs. Mackey was a fifth cousin to Abraham Lincoln. She married Samuel B. Mackey July 31st, 1936, and he preceded her in death July 2, 1982. Mrs. Mackey is survived three sons Joseph L. Mackey of Lancaster, John E. Mackey of Stroudsburg, and Larry S. Mackey of Franklin; and two daughters Mrs. Orah (Dorothy) Shaffer of Franklin, and the Rev. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor of Mooresville wife of William Wisor. Also surviving are two sisters. Mrs. Jay (Marquita) Blum of Kennerdell, and Mrs Robert Norma) Disharoon of Oil City; 11 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. Friends are being received at the Robert Gardinier Funeral Home in Franklin, where the family will receive friends from 7 -9 PM today, and from 2 -4 and 7 - 9 PM on Tuesday. Services will be held at 10 am Wednesday at the funeral home with the Rev Kevin Bausman, pastor of the Rocky Grove Avenue Presbyterian Church; and the Rev Joseph Stains of the Sugarcreek Methodist Charge officiating. Interment will follow at Sunset Hill Memorial Garden." "The death certificate is number 3493567. The commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Health and Vital records. Dorothy M. Mackey residence 214 Elm Street, Franklin, Venango, Pennsylvania. Place of death Venango county Sugarcreek Borough Pennsylvania. Sex Female, date of death 3-20-83, race white, date of birth 6-28-12, birthplace New York, Marital status widowed, social security 177-07-5496D, occupation Housewife. Medical certificate, Immediate cause (a) Pulmonary edema due to (b) acute myocardial infarction, due to (c) Arteriosclerotic heart disease. Part 2 other significant conditions contributing to death Carcinogenic shock. Name and Title of the Person who certified cause of death MD Peter J. Thompson Franklin, Pa. This is to certify that the information here is given is correctly copied from an original certificate of death duly filed with me as Local Registrar. The original certificate will be forwarded to the State Vital Records Office for permanent filing. Sandra M. Burchfield 61-553 509 Liberty Street, Franklin 3-21-83" A copy is in her file. [Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2 M-Z, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Mar 29, 2000, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.2879.76] Individual: Mackey, Dorothy Social Security #: 184-36-8594 SS# issued in: Pennsylvania Birth date: Jun 29, 1912 Death date: Mar 1983 Residence code: Pennsylvania ZIP Code of last known residence: 16323
The handling of the Estate was done by Larry Samuel Mackey through Gent, Thompson and Gent 314 West Park Street, Franklin, Pennsylvania. In the court of common pleas of Venango County, Pennsylvania - - Orphans Court Division R.D. No. 92 1983 O.C.D. No. The totaled estate was valued at 4,068.19. It was divided into 1/5 going to each sibling. The family had divided the furniture and personal belongings before going to the attorneys office. It was valued at $450. The attorney said that it was the first time in 37 years of practice that the family did not fight over an estate. This is a testament to Sam and Dorothy Mackey and the children that they raised.
" In the matter of the estate of Dorothy Mackey a/k/a Dorothy M. Mackey late of Franklin Venango County, Pennsylvania, deceased. In the court of Common pleas of Venango County, Pennsylvania Orphans' Court Court Division R.D. No 92 1983 O.C.D. No 19 Larry Mackey submitted the final accounting for approval and confirmation at 9:30 o'clock A.M. on the 6th day of September, 1983, in Courtroom Number 1 in the Cort House in Franklin, Pennsylvania."
Some Quotes from the sympathy cards sent to the family upon the death of Dorothy. "Blanche Dean apt 605 1220 Chestnut Street, Franklin, Pennsylvania I knew your mother when I worked next door to her;
Friend Hazel Miller She was a wonderful friend when we went to school and we sure had some good times. We moved to Oil City and lived across the street from her family so she took me to school in the 9th grade first day and was friends ever since; Dorothy Morrison Toy, Dorothy was always a good friend when we went to school; From an old neighbor Nellis Kightlinger; Dear Dorothy Elizabeth I am writing to you so you can pass on our condolences to the rest of the family. I wanted very much to share some of your grief with you by being there. However, that has not been possible. Memories continue to invade my thoughts. Aunt Dorothy was like a second mother to me in my early years. Once after having been stung by bees Aunt Dorothy plastered my face with mud. She watched us pound each other with boxing gloves. There's more but not at this time. Memories are good. But, we know eternal life is better. Your mother has achieved the ultimate in living - eternal life. The Lord has all in control Psalm 33:4 God Bless Judy. didn't you ask me this a long time ago before my memory was so bad. I do not remember. "Who was the black sheep in the family?" Maybe me! "Who was the relative you talked about the most?" Aunt Edith and Clyde who would to come to town and always wanted to stay. "What was some of your most memorable birthdays?" After I was married when Larry sent me all those roses from Alaska. "When was one of the saddest times?' When your grandmother passed away. What was a favorite Christmas?" She became animated and said I remember one when we lived in third ward in Oil City. We lived above a bookstore and a car garage. A fire started and my mother began throwing all my presents out the window especially the red hat that I had gotten. Larry Samuel Mackey through Gent, Thompson and Gent 314 West Park Street, Franklin, Pennsylvania, did the handling of the Estate. In the court of common pleas of Venango County, Pennsylvania - - Orphans Court Division R.D. No. 92 1983 O.C.D. No. The totaled estate was valued at 4,068.19. It was divided into 1/5 going to each sibling. The family had divided the furniture and personal belongings before going to the attorney's office. It was valued at $450. The attorney said that it was the first time in 37 years of practice that the family did not fight over an estate. This is a testament to Sam and Dorothy Mackey and the children that they raised.
" In the matter of the estate of Dorothy Mackey a/k/a Dorothy M. Mackey late of Franklin Venango County, Pennsylvania, deceased. In the court of Common pleas of Venango County, Pennsylvania Orphans' Court Division R.D. No 92 1983 O.C.D. No 19 Larry Mackey submitted the final accounting for approval and confirmation at 9:30 o'clock A.M. on the 6th day of September, 1983, in Courtroom Number 1 in the Court House in Franklin, Pennsylvania. Included is the copy of distribution signed by Larry Samuel Mackey. Note Mary Anne Mackey-Wiser received 30.25 less in cash due to the fact that she received 1 additional share of Marine Bancorp, Inc. valued at 30.25 on the date of death.. The accountant charges himself with the combined balance remaining as shown by his first and final account. The Accountant proposes to distribute the said combined balance remaining as follows: John E. Mackey, son of decedent, 1/5 thereof cash 729.68, Joseph L. Mackey, son of decedent, 1/5 thereof: 729.69, Larry S. Mackey, son of decedent, 1/5 thereof: 729.69, Dorothy M. Shaffer, daughter of decedent 1/5 thereof: 729.69, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, daughter of decedent 1/5 thereof 699.44, TO John E. Mackey, Joseph L. Mackey, Larry S. Mackey, Dorothy M. Shaffer and Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, as tenants in common: Household furniture and furnishings $450 Total 4,068.19 Larry S. Mackey administrator.
"The death certificate is number 3493567. The commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Health and Vital records. Dorothy M. Mackey residence 214 Elm Street, Franklin, Venango, Pennsylvania. Place of death Venango county Sugarcreek Borough Pennsylvania. Sex Female, date of death 3-20-83, race white, date of birth 6-28-12, birthplace New York, Marital status widowed, social security 177-07-5496D, occupation Housewife. Medical certificate, Immediate cause (a) Pulmonary edema due to (b) acute myocardial infarction, due to (c) Arteriosclerosis heart disease. Part 2 other significant conditions contributing to death Carcinogenic shock. Name and Title of the Person who certified cause of death MD Peter J. Thompson Franklin, Pa. This is to certify that the information here is given is correctly copied from an original certificate of death duly filed with me as Local Registrar. The original certificate will be forwarded to the State Vital Records Office for permanent filing. Sandra M. Burchfield 61-553 509
Liberty Street, Franklin 3-21-83" Unsubscribed memories Robert W. Gardinier Funeral Home, Inc. 1325 Chestnut Street, Franklin, Pennsylvania. In Memory of Dorothy M. Mackey born Westfield, New York on June 28th, 1912, entered into rest March 20th, 1983 in Franklin, Pennsylvania at age 70. Services provided by Robert W. Gardinier Funeral Home March 20th, 1983 ay 10:00 A.M.; officiating Rev. Kevin Bausman and Rev. Joseph Stains. In God's protection and gracious mercy we leave you, may He bless you and Keep you. The Lord makes his face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace and light and joy forevermore. he Pallbearers Larry. S. Mackey, Michael Blum, James Graham. Larry Horner, Jeff Mackey, Ron Disharoon. The resting place is Sunset Hill Memorial gardens Franklin, (Cranberry Township, Venango County, Pennsylvania. Lay to rest March 23rd at 10:00 A.M.,
Family record, deceased Dorothy M. Mackey, mother Lena Golden, father Oscar Morehouse, married to Samuel B. Mackey, children Joseph L. Mackey, John E. Mackey, Larry S. Mackey, Mrs. Orah (Dorothy) Shaffer, Rev. William (Mary Anne) Mackey-Wisor; the poem The Eternal Goodness by J.G. Whittier, Poem Until we meet again, Relatives and friends; Mrs. Jack Birsy, Mary Brown, Mary Fennick, Rev. Kevin Bausman, Bill and Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, Norma, Bob and Ron Disharoon, Carol Whitman, Neula and Marshall Cochran, Jack E. Hall, Henry and Linda Jacoby, Elizabeth Bunyak, Darlene King, Carol Davis, Mrs. Doris McCain Karen and Patrick, Mrs. Geraldine Lyons, Calvin Sharran, Deborah L. Rial, Peggy Craig, Pat and Harry Bumillir, Deborah Hummel, Shirley Barger, Karen Lynde, Carol Lepley, Lisa Crimm, Bernard Crimm, Chris Crimm, Paul and Cinda Fillan, Beryl Flickner, Evelyn Blum, Helen K. Herr, Chruch Cummings, Jack L. Rutor, Mr. and Mrs. Gary J. Moffatt, Robert Flick, Densk Paden, Larry Wenner, Bruce A. Dirlick, Charles Hovis, Jane and Larry Petullaa, Gladys and Glenn McDowell, Lois
, Harry Latchaw, Jayne French, Judy Patten, Mr. and Mrs. Randy Owens, Mr. and Mrs. Jay Blum Curran, Carolyn Bell, Eleanor Phillips, Marian L. Coyle, Peggy McClelland, Mr. and Mrs. Daryl Bell, Mike Blum, Mr. R. "Jake" Baughman, Mary Netzler Schwab, Hazel Hoffman, Jessie Boughner, Jake Turner, Larry and Linda Dailey and Larry, Jack Muehlan, Jack Muehlan, Jr., Dr. Robert B. Smith, Linda Cornelius, Kate DeBerti, Glenn and Lauren Hogue, Bob O'Hare, Florence Deemer, Mabel Steiner, Michael A. Quinn, Walter and Martha Conaway, Rev. Joseph Stains, Joseph L. Sr. and Margaret Mackey, Joseph L. Mackey Jr., Mr. and Mrs. Harold Ward, Jr., Dorothy M. Borland, Donald E. Nelson, Sr. (Birck), John and Margaret Mackey, Pam Mackey, Jeffery Mackey, Jim Slautterback, Jay Rhoads, Jack and Norma Baarthan, Jane Klinger, Mr. and Mrs. Russell Stover, Abe, Leda J. Wisor, Betsy and Barb Jo., Kim Hricsina (Ward), Bruce and Brian Rodgers, Gene and Wildamae Rodgers, Alice Warkowski, David and Susan Green, Ken and Ces M. McFadden, Clydia Burkhardt Shaffer, Rex and Jennifer Stoyer, Sherlee McGucklin, Jane and Art McEntire, Mrs. David Hawthorne, Dee Dee Mackey, Mark Mackey, Robert J. Weller, Blanche Brady, Ila Welton, Leanna Lewis, Ray and Laurie Shouey, Calvin Gilmore, Helena Punnger Larson, Alan Jennings, Scott Fresos, Velma King, Mom Baughman, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cocrun, Don and Arlene McDaniel, Larry and Sue Horner, Paul and Dot, McMURRAY and Paula, Shirley Hazl
Notes for SAMUEL B. MACKEY:
He was born on Westmorland street in Belfast, Norther Ireland. Certification of his vaccination 175 Shankhill Road, Belfast. Vaccination Amendment Act of 1879. If a person lied they could be fined 20 Shillings. Dr. Kennedy Registrar of Births and Deaths for the District of 3 Springfield Road, Belfast. Samuel B. Mackey was vaccinated on the 12th day of January 1902.
When he was a child he used to deliver newspapers in Oil City. He was very athletic and a good runner. There was a hotel at the end of Center Street along the ledge. It had all front rooms. Whoever got there first could sell papers to all the guests. Sam was always the first one because he could run so fast. A picture of the hotel is enclosed in his file.
Sam returned to Ireland with his dad for his 19th birthday his passport #. L. 043838 issued the 7th day of February 1921. His passport says age 19 profession moulder, the place and date of birth 20th December 1901. His height was 5 feet and 9 inches. His forehead high and eyes blue and nose straight and mouth normal his chin round and colour of hair fair and complexion fresh and his face oval.
Sam had a newspaper clipping of the Rev. and Mrs. David Burrows and son Allen who came to the United States. His Dad told him that he was named after this minister. He always felt that Burrows was how his middle name was spelled but on the census bureau it had Burroughs. That's why he only went by the letter B.
The Department of Commerce Bureau of the Census in Washington dated February 21, 1942 Re. Samuel B. Mackey (Burroughs) 33 1/2 Graff Street, Oil City, Pennsylvania. Census of 1930, taken as of April 1, 13 Plummer Road, Oil City, County Venango, State Pennsylvania. Name Mackey, Sam, relationship Lodger, Age 28, Place of Birth Northern Ireland, Citizenship *Naturalized, enumerated with Joe Mackey in the house hold of Willaim and Anna Allen. *year of immigration 1907
He worked for Mrs. Wilson 24 Halyday Street, Oil City July 31st 1938 to Nov, 1939.
Dorothy Shaffer found on the internet under Ellis Island that Sam and Joseph sailed from Liverpool, England on the ship Carmania. Place of residence Belfast Ireland. They landed on Ellis Island 2-19-1921. Sam's dad took him over to visit family before he turned 21 years old. Samuel Mackey's name is inscribed on Ellis Island wall of fame panel # 266.
He became a member in the international Molders' Union No. 148, Brother Samuel Mackey Number 54805, Initiated April 23, 1923. Places of work include the Transit. His last pay was June 20th, 1940. His first Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company pay was June 21, 1940. He left CPT August 30, 1941. Sam worked in the Navy Yard in Washington D.C. Application #162718 September 25th, 1941. He scored 93% on his test to enter the Navy Yards. He returned to the CPT September 29, 1941 where he retired in 1969. He received Certificate and watch for his 25 years of service June 14, 1965.
He played semi-pro basketball with his brother Harry for the Oil City YMCA. In the Sports Flashbacks in the News Herald the local Franklin News paper is this statement: "40 Years ago- The "Y" Senior downed the Snitzer cagers 42 to 26 in a high scoring ball game. Williams led the seniors with 14,, followed by Porter with nine. Tarr, Mackey and Fry contributed to the victory with floor work." In another Sports Flashback, "40 years ago - in cage action, the "Y" Seniors went under to the Erie "Y" 39-33. Taking to the floor for the locals were Goodwell, Williams, Ken Porter, Sam Mackey, Dick Fry, Jess Tarr, Morrison and Henry Mackey." Another one states; "20 years ago, December 27, 1929. Sam Mackey led the Y Seniors to a 39-31 victory over the Saltzer Five in a basketball game at the Y. YMCA last night Jess Tarr and Ken Porter with eight and six points a piece were valuable aids. "
His son Larry is also an avid basket ball player as well as baseball, volleyball and softball. Larry was in the Clarion Invitational Class B and C softball tournament when his dad was in the hospital. The tournament was dedicated to Samuel Mackey. (This was just a few days before he died) Tom's Foods won the tournament. Larry was a member of the team whose record was 27-6.
Sam's best friend was George Netzler who lived at 214 Elm Street. Sam and Dorothy moved into his apartment upstairs. When they had to leave the house they were renting on Maple street, he let them move in temporarily until they were able to find another home. They lived there the rest of their lives which was at least 30 years. George and Sam used to like to go to the drive in to see Betty Grable, their favorite actress. Dorothy took care of Mr. Netzler when he became ill. She cooked and cleaned for him. She would help get a bath. He had may children and none of them helped. He told Sam and Dorthy that he was going to leave the house to them but when he died the family came and threw pictures, papers, etc out the attic window and set them on fire. Sam would have loved to have the pictures of his friend. He died on April 30th, 1963. The will was never found. Mary Anne remembers sitting on the front porch swing with him when it rained. He would have her count the bubbles. He said the big bubbles were the only ones you could count. If you could count 30 bubbles then the rain would stop. Mr. Netzler loved to take Mary Anne and Dorothy for rides in his car. He would find the roads in the country that were very bumpy then he would drive as fast as he could so tat it would make their stomachs fly. They would giggle and he would take them again and again. Mary Anne and a neighbor girl Brenda Baker found a baby bird that had fallen out of it's nest. They took it to show him and it got away. Mary Anne tried to catch it as it went behind a hamper and accidently stepped on it. She cried and cried. He took her little 5 year old hand and took her in the back yard and helped her burry it. They had a little funeral. The Mackey family loved him as their own grandfather.
This article appeared in the Franklin News Herald. "$850 Damage Caused in Elk Street Accident, Three Cars Involved. Damage amounting to $850 was done in an automobile collision at Elk and West Park Streets at 5:10 P.M. Saturday, according to police reports.
Involved were automobiles driven by James S. Ramsey Jr., 23 son of James Ramsey Sr., 1422 Liberty Street and Samuel Mackey, 54, of 214 Elm Street, Rocky Grove. In ensuing collision, the Mackey car careened into another automobile parked on the south side of Elk Street and belonging to William A. Sheasley, 1534 Elk Street.
Police assessed damage to the Ramsey car at $500, to the Mackey automobile $300 and to the Sheasley machine $50.
According to the report by investigating officers, the Ramsey car was going east on Elk Street and the Mackey automobile was proceeding north on West Park, the front end of the first car colliding with the left front end of the Rocky Grove automobile, which in turn bumped the Sheasley car.
Fortunately, no person was injured." The date was January 30th, 1955. This car belonged to his son Joe. He never drove a car after this incident.
This is the obituary that appeared in the Franklin News Herald News paper Tuesday, July 6, 1982. " Funeral services for Samuel B. Mackey of 214 Elm Street, Rocky Grove, were held at 1:30 P.M. Monday in the Robert W. Gardinier Funeral Home.
Mr. Mackey died Friday in the Franklin Hospital. Among the survivors are his wife, Dorothy, and five children, Joseph L. Mackey of Lancaster, John E. Mackey of Stroudsburg, Larry S. Mackey of Franklin, Mrs. Orah (Dorothy) Shaffer of Franklin, and the Rev. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, wife of the Rev. William Mackey-Wisor, of Mooresville.
The Rev. Kevin Bausman, pastor of the Rocky Grove Avenue United Presbyterian Church, officiated at the services, reading "On the Other Side of Death," "When I must Leave You" and "An Irish Blessing." He was assisted by the Rev. Joseph Stains, who read "Crossing the Bar" and "Should You Go First"; by the Rev. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, who read Psalms 23 and 27; and by the Rev. William Mackey-Wisor, who offered "Bringing in the Sheaves" and "This is My Father's World."
Interment followed in Sunset Hill Memorial Gardens.
Attending the services from a distance were Joseph Mackey and family of Lancaster, John Mackey and family from Stroudsburg, The Revs William and Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor and family of Mooresville, Mike Blum of Pittsburgh, Isabelle and Jacke Hershelman of Wilmington, Delaware; Mable Finkenstein of New Castle, and Susan Horner of Sandy Lake."
The obituary in the Oil City Derrick News paper had this additional information. " Samuel B. Mackey, 80, retired Chicago Pneumatic Tool Co. He was born December 20, 1901, in Belfast, Ireland, a son of Joseph and Isabelle Purdy Mackey.
Mr. Mackey was married July 31, 1936, to the former Dorothy M. Morehouse, who survives. Before retiring in 1969, he was employed as a moulder by Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company.
Mr. Mackey was a member of the Rocky Grove United Presbyterian Church, Franklin Moose Lodge, Oil City Eagles Lodge, the International Allied Workers Moulders Union and CPT Quartet Century Club.
Also surviving are 11 grandchildren; one great-grandchild, a sister, Mrs. Jack (Isabella) Hershelman of Wilmington, Delaware; and a brother, Henry Mackey of Oil City.
He was preceded in death by two brothers, James and Joseph; and two sisters, Eliza Nelson and Mary Ellen Mackey."
Rev. Moorehead was the minister when Sam joined Rocky Grove Presbyterian Church. Leo Richards was the clerk of session. He was a member of the Franklin Moose Lodge, the international Allied Workers Moulders Union, CPT Quarter Century Club. He was an avid sports enthusiast and was a lifetime member of the Rocky Grove Booster Club. He was buried by Robert W. Gardinier Funeral Home in Franklin, Pennsylvania. The Clergymen were Rev. Kevin Bausman, Rev. Joseph Stains, Rev. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, Rev. William Mackey-Wisor.
"The death certificate ,Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Health Vital Statistics #3021760 Samuel B. Mackey of 214 Elm Street, Franklin, Venango, Pennsylvania, Sugar creek Borough. Male, date of death 7-2-82, white, date of birth 12-20-01, birthplace Ireland, married, social security # !77-07-5496, occupation moulder. Immediate cause of death Cardiooenal failure, ASHD with CHF due to Cardiovascular accident. Coroner Manson Brown of Franklin, Pennsylvania Certification by Sandra M. Burchfield 61-552, 509 Liberty Street, Franklin, Pa."[Morehouse.FTW}[Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2 M-Z, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Mar 27, 2000, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.2903.117]Individual: Mackey, Samuel Social Security #: 177-07-5496 SS# issued in: Pennsylvania Birth date: Dec 20, 1901 Death date: Jul 1982 Residence code: Pennsylvania
ZIP Code of last known residence: 16323Primary location associated with this ZIP Code: Franklin, Pennsylvania
Marriage Notes for DOROTHY MOREHOUSE and SAMUEL MACKEY:
Sam and Dorothy eloped. They were married in Zelienople by Edwin Meeder. "The License was issued by the Orphans court in Mercer County, Pa, No. 36974." He was a Justice of the Peace. Dot always said that when they started to into the house Sam got cold feet. Sam said "Let's come back another day, But Dot said, if we don't do it today we never will." Sam said he never regretted it. They did not tell their parents that they were married until she became pregnant with Joseph. Sam went home to the farm in Kennerdell with his sister Eliza and family and his Dad. Dorothy went home with her Mom and Lee. Dot and Sam had gone together for about 10 years but during that time Dot had broken up with Sam and dated a man that she worked with at the high school.
" One of the sayings that Dot liked to quote was this Marriage Colors. An old Lancashire rhyme concerning the color of the wedding gown runs as follows: Married in white you have chose all right. Married in gray you will go far away. Married in black you will whish yourself back. Married in red, you will wish yourself dead. Married in green, ashamed to be seen. Married in blue, he will always be true. Married in pearl you will live in a whirl. Married in yellow, ashamed of your fellow. Married in brown you will move out of town. Married in pink you will live to you stink." Dorothy was married in blue and pink.
Places that Sam and her lived during their married lives 33 1/2 Graff Street November 1939-May 1942; 48 Washington Street Franklin, Pa May 1942 to April 1943.; 140 Maple St. Rocky Grove April 6, 1943-Sept. 7, 1944.; 224 Maple Street Rocky Grove Sept. 7, 1944 to March 1951, 214 Elm St. Rocky Grove 1951 to date of death in 1983.
Dorothy was a housewife and her greatest joy was to be a good mother. Before she was married she worked as a secretary for the Oil City High School in Oil City. She was the 5th cousin of Abraham Lincoln according to family tradition. A week before my mother died in 1983, I spent a week with her and the following information she gave to me about her family. Mary Anne has a tape recording but it is very hard to understand Mom. Her speech is really slurred and her memory was not good for example she gave me the wrong color for her eyes. Also I was new to interviewing and I rushed her too much. "Some of the special times she remembers are getting married, having five children, going fishing at Lake Erie . Dorothy was called the peninsula kid playing on the beach. 'What was a special memory dad shared with you about his mother? ' He never talked too much about his mother. He was kinda quiet. She talked to him about Ireland. "What was a memory that Daddy shared about his father?' The only thing I remember is that when dad turned 16 his father told him it was time to go to work. He started to work in the foundry. 'What were some of Daddy's favorite things to do? I do not know. 'How did you learn to cook?" I just had to learn because I did the biggest share of cooking at home. When I was in high school and things and do the washing and things. When I got home from school I had to go and get the meat stuff we did not have an icebox. I had to go and get it at the store and come home and cook the supper. 'What favorite foods do you remember most? ' I remember chicken and lemon pie, I loved lemon pie, lemon meringue pie, that's about everything! 'What was your favorite family dinner that you used to cook?' I used to cook roast chicken, beef roast. 'What was something that you used to enjoy cooking?' I liked to cook tollhouse cookies and lemon meringue pie. Louis Young used to put me out of the house when he came home from the ships. He was shot and killed somewhere down south. My mom may have had other children that were adopted probably boys because she thought she needed to take of the girls. Lena, my mother had some kind of deed for a place in New. It said that she could live there as long as she was alive. I also lived in Conneaut Ohio. My mom used to feed the hobos that got off of the train. They marked our house somehow and knew that the occupants would be open to feeding them. "Where did you live when you left Buffalo? " We lived with my Aunt in Fertigs. Pennsylvania. " What schools did you attend?" I went to school in Buffalo, Fertigs, Gay Street, and Lincoln High School in Oil City. When we moved to Fertigs I was used to going to school in the big city but in Fetigs it's was a one-room schoolhouse. I was very shy and the first day the teacher told me to go to the recitetation table. I did not know what that was and was so embarrassed. After the kids laughed and I went up front I had to receit the lesson, which was also embarrassing. I was so glad when we moved to Oil City and I went to school in a classroom. " What was Gram's full name?" Claire or you mean my grandmother? "No I mean your mother? " Lena Elizabeth Golden, I called her mom. "Where was she born?" I guess in Westfield. I don't remember how tall she was but I know she got up to 200lbs. I can't remember if her hair was brown or black. I do not remember the color of her eyes. "What do you remember most about her? (Laughing) She liked to play BINGO. (Laughed a lot more.) I do not know my father's full name or what he looked like just that he was a street car conductor, I think ! "What pets did you have?" I had a collie dog named Lassie. I loved him so very much. He used to follow me to school and then when school was over he would come and meet me. We used to give him rides in the wagon. In Oil City we had a cat that we would give rides in our carriage. " What memories do you have of school?" Right now not much really. "She had told Bill and I that she had written a play about Hiawatha." She says today that she was in the play and played the lead. "What were your main responsibilities as you were growing up?" Taking care of my sisters, work around the house, scrub down the stairs, scrub the floors, do the dishes. Mom sold doughnuts and she had regular customers and I had to deliver them. "What was your favorite home/" right here (But her children all knew that it was the house on Maple Street that was her favorite! They moved to Elm Street temporarily and lived there over 30 years. "Who were your best friends?" Iva Baum who lived in Oil City. "I never heard you mention her before." You didn't. We used to play together a lot especially jump rope together. I liked to jump rope, roller skate. I wasn't allowed to do very much. Aunt Edith and I liked to go to the amusement park and ride the rides. "What kind of dances did they dance? Waltzes and the Fox Trot. "What about favorite books?" I used to read a lot and had a lot of favorites. "What were some of your most memorable days?" You mean with Sam? Then she laughed. "How did you meet him? He came up to get his laundry done after he came back from Ohio. We lived in the third ward and mom did washing. "Do you remember the price of candy, licorice, bread, movies?" Bread wasn't very expensive and I used to go to the movies but I always had to take my sisters with me. The Charleston was popular and I liked that! "What did you want to be when you grew up?" I did not think about it. "I thought you wanted to be an interior decorator once?" I did once when I was young. "Who was the black sheep in the family?" Maybe me! "Who was the relative you talked about the most?" Aunt Edith and Clyde who would to come to town and always wanted to stay. "What was some of your most memorable birthdays?" After I was married when Larry sent me all those roses from Alaska. "When was one of the saddest times?' When your grandmother passed away. What was a favorite Christmas?" She became animated and said I remember one when we lived in third ward in Oil City. We lived above a bookstore and a car garage. A fire started and my mother began throwing all my presents out the window especially the red hat that I had gotten.

Children of DOROTHY MOREHOUSE and SAMUEL MACKEY are:
i. JOSEPH LEE3 MACKEY19,20, b. December 15, 1937, Oil City, Venango County, Pennsylvania 16301 USA; m. (1) DOROTHY LYNNE LOWERS, July 11, 1959, Franklin, Venango County, Pennsylvania. 16323 USA; b. February 23, 1940, Franklin Hospital, Franklin, Venango County, Pennsylvania USA16323; m. (2) MARGARET ALICE CRAIG, June 19, 1966, Silvrun, Carroll County, Maryland USA; b. March 28, 1943, Frackville, Pennsylvania USA.
ii. JOHN EDWARD MACKEY21,22, b. May 16, 1940, Oil City, Venango County, Pennsylvania 16301 USA.
iii. LARRY SAMUEL MACKEY23,24, b. September 21, 1948, Oil City, Venango County, Pennsylvania 16301 USA; m. (2) SHIRLEY MAE CLARK; b. April 15, 1945, Franklin Hospital, Franklin, Venango County, Pennsylvania USA16323; m. (3) JIMMIE-JO ANN TURNER, August 15, 1967, Winchester, Virginia USA; b. September 22, 1949, Franklin Hospital, Franklin, Venango County, Pennsylvania USA16323.
iv. DOROTHY ELIZABETH MACKEY25,26, b. January 04, 1950, Oil City, Venango County, Pennsylvania 16301 USA27; m. ORAH DWIGHT SHAFFER, July 11, 1970, Rocky Grove, Franklin, Venango, Pennsylvania 16323 USA; b. December 12, 1948, Franklin, Venango County, Pennsylvania USA16323.
v. //MARYANNE// MACKEY28,29, b. May 01, 1955, Oil City, Venango County, Pennsylvania 16301 USA30; m. WILLIAM THOMAS WISOR, June 09, 1979, Rocky Grove United Presbyterian Church, Franklin, Venango County, Pennsylvania 16323 USA; b. May 17, 1952, Philipsburg, Centre County, Pennsylvania USA.

Endnotes

1. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005, daughter, obituary Franklin New Herald March 21, 1983.2. Oil City, Venango County, Pennsylvania 16301 USA, "Derrick," Morning newspaper, sister Marquita's obituary, her obituary.3. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005.4. Death Certificate.5. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005, obituary Franklin, News Herald July 3rd, 1982.6. Foreign Office May, 1920 Passport.7. "Newsclipping, News Herald," Auto Wreck 1955.8. Navy Yard Order Form Discharge Card.9. Department of Commerce Bureau of the Census Washington, Census of 1930, taaken as of April1, 13 Plummer Road, Oil City , County Venango State Pennsylvania.10. 214 Elm Street, Franklin, ennsylvania, Dorothy Mae Morehouse Mackey, wife.11. 47th Annual Meeting Chicago Pneumatic Tool Co., Franklin Club Friday Evening Novemeber 6, 1981 Program.12. 25 years of continuous service letter from Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company 6 East 44th Street New York, N.Y. 10017.13. "Derrick and News Herald."14. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005.15. Commpulsory Vaccination (Ireland) Acts 33 & 1879.16. Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Mar 27, 2000, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.2903.11717. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005.18. Announcement, Mom's graduation announcement.
19. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005.
20. "Derrick and News Herald," parents obituaries.21. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005.22. "Derrick and News Herald," parents obituaries.23. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005.24. "Derrick and News Herald," parents obituary.25. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005. 26. "Derrick and News Herald," parents obituary.27. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005.28. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005, My first name is Mary Anne no middle name and my last name is Mackey-Wisor.29. "Derrick and News Herald," parents obituary.30. Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor started research in 1983, Mary Anne Mackey-Wisor, still researching 9-1-2005.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mary Anne MacKey-Wisor 1130078897000 
terri121663 1530606759000 
terri121663 1530606795000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic