Search for content in message boards

New Jersey Archives Series - Wills and Marriages - Online today

Replies: 8

New Jersey Archives Series - Wills and Marriages - Online today

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 1:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Mar 2012 1:26PM GMT
Well, here's some good news and bad news.

Ancestry has put images of the entire NJ Archives Series online today. At first glance it all seems to be there. These are images of the originally published books. That was the good news.

Now the bad news, for the will books, the indexing seems to include only the deceased person, not names within in the abstracts. This is a big letdown, but the original indexes (which index every person mentioned and places as well) are still available in the back of each book.

I can understand why automated or unskilled indexers would not have been able to tie in the correct names for many people mentioned in the wills. Sometimes last names are implied and relationships can be complicated.

So remember to use the index at the back of each book if you want to be sure you find people mentioned WITHIN each will. If you use Ancestry's search box, you will probably find the deceased person, but not others mentioned.

I tried the keyword search, but that did not find people mentioned within a will either. Example: keyword Phebe Meeker should turn up a will for Martin Tichenor in 1759, but it does not.

The 3 volumes of will indexes also appeared online today.

Vol I. Counties Altantic to Essex
Vol II. Counties Gloucester to Monmouth
Vol III. Counties Morris to Warren, also unrecorded wills etc.

I suggest looking at these too to find the estate you need. Some names are spelled differently, abbreviated, etc. in will abstracts. The names may be easier to identify in the 3-volume index set. Then, having the name and year, you can find the will abstract in the NJ Archives books.

Sharon Meeker

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
meekernj 7 Mar 2012 8:23PM GMT 
JennM2003218 8 Mar 2012 3:35PM GMT 
meekernj 8 Mar 2012 4:59PM GMT 
meekernj 8 Mar 2012 5:16PM GMT 
calacci 16 Apr 2012 1:15AM GMT 
meekernj 16 Apr 2012 1:43AM GMT 
JoMac53 26 May 2012 12:37PM GMT 
meekernj 26 May 2012 1:47PM GMT 
cmgleason 30 Mar 2012 5:19PM GMT 
per page