Search for content in message boards

Giannini family in Philadelphia and Camden

Replies: 1

Giannini family in Philadelphia and Camden

Posted: 1489615759000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Giannini, Cardosi
I'm researching my step-mom's Giannini ancestors. Francesco was born in 1887, came over to the U.S. in 1907, and worked as a barber [from census data]. He married Rosa Antonia Giordano in 1911 in Philadelphia [probably]. He had a brother Giovanni/John, who left the priesthood and worked as a barber with him. Francesco and Rosa moved across the river to Camden circa 1913. The couple would eventually have four daughters: Carmella (later "Mildred"), Mary, Rose and Margaret. Francesco died sometime between the 1930 and 1940 censuses.

When Margaret married after her father's death, Vittorio Giannini walked her down the aisle. Vittorio is likely a close relative...he is also the son of tenor Ferruccio Giannini (1868-1948), whom we know to come from "Ponte all'Ania" area near Lucca. This means it is also likely Francesco came from this same area (which matches the oral tradition of the family that he was from "around Florence").

My task: prove/disprove this link between the two Giannini families. I've since learned that Ferruccio's parents are Giovanni and Euphemia (Cardosi) Giannini. A brother Vittorio/Victor C. was born in 1860. If Francesco were another brother, he would have been a very late birth for this couple. A more reasonable guess would be that Francesco and Vittorio were close cousins, with Ferruccio being perhaps an uncle.

Any insights/advice will gratefully be accepted!

-- David
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dsdrane 1489615759000 
CynthiaSalern... 1510210840000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic