Search for content in message boards

Harrison Thompson

Replies: 28

Champion Frazier Baker Connection

Posted: 2 Jul 2012 2:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jul 2012 3:14PM GMT
Surnames: Champion, Frazier, Baker, Vanmeter, Stillwell
In researching Daniel Frazier who married Sarah Matlack and lived in Hamilton, Gloucester (1830,1840) I came across this will of Henry Vanmeter that suggests a connection between the Fraziers, Champions, and others.

1827, July 31 - Vanmeter, Henry, Eggharbour Twp., Gloucester Co., Will of.

Wife Mary Vanmeter all household goods and furniture of every kind and description during her lifetime empowering her at any time to dispose of the same if requisite. Likewise my personal property of every description except my best pair of Blacksmith beloses which I give unto James Baker, son of David and Susana Baker, the said beloes to be delivered to James Baker immediately after my death. Whatever is left of wife's share of my estate after she dies to be equally divided between Mary Frazier, daughter of Daniel and Sarah Frazier and Mary Stilvill, daughter of Enouch and Lorana Stilvill.

To my wife all my lands, tenements, hereditaments and real estate to her proper use and benefit during her lifetime and after her death all to go to Henry Vanmeter son of my brother John Vanmeter. Also to wife all my money and what so ever money may be collected of my book accounts and which may be left at my decease. Executor brother-in-law Daniel Frazier. Witnesses Federal Champion, Dior Champion, Elizabeth Matise.

Proved Sept 1, 1828. C 344, 345.
Source: Gloucester County Wills 1818-1836 by Doris Cole Rogers. Pub. by GCHS, Woodbury, NJ 1988 p. 129-30.

Daniel (husband of Sarah Matlack) is described as the brother-in-law of Henry Vanmeter implying that Mary Vanmeter is probably Daniel's sister.

A bequest was left to James Baker son of David and Susanna. David Baker married Susannah Frasure 2-11-1811 (Susannah was likely a sister of Daniel and Mary). (James Baker the heir may be the husband of Ellen Adams daughter of Lovina and Jacob)

Vanmeter also mentioned Mary daughter of Enoch and Lorana Stilvill (also Stillwell). Enoch Stillwell married Reny Champion 10-11-1810

Witnesses to the will included: Federal Champion, Dior (probably Hezediah who was still alive in the 1830 census), and Elizabeth Matise (who I have yet to learn anything about)

I think this document further supports a close and direct relation between Federal Champion and Hezediah as well as adding the name Lorana Champion to the mix. Lovina Champion Adams had a daughter Lorana (perhaps named after this older Lorana Champion Stillwell).

I believe Daniel, Susannah, and Mary Frazier may be the children of Daniel (Rev. Patriot died c.1790) and his wife Jane (last name unknown). They were the only Frazure's in Gloucester County in the late 1700s according to New Jersey tax records

Let me know if anyone can shed any light on the relationships suggested above. This is an interesting puzzle.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
vtravis888 7 Jan 2012 3:52AM GMT 
Walter_Lovett 7 Jan 2012 5:30PM GMT 
vtravis888 8 Jan 2012 12:56AM GMT 
vtravis888 12 Feb 2012 2:56PM GMT 
Walter_Lovett 12 Feb 2012 4:05PM GMT 
vtravis888 12 Feb 2012 2:58PM GMT 
louisa8 2 Jul 2012 8:31PM GMT 
vtravis888 3 Jul 2012 10:55PM GMT 
vtravis888 5 Jul 2012 1:51AM GMT 
vtravis888 9 Jul 2012 2:23PM GMT 
per page