Search for content in message boards

STEELE STAGE STOP

Replies: 8

Re: STEELE STAGE STOP

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 7:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Steele was built by my GG-Grandfather, George Steell. The following is what I had written in my family history about 20 years ago:

" After the failure of his Sun River holdings, George moved a few miles north of Sun River to the Muddy Creek Valley near Power. He became the postmaster, stage, and express agent at the location of the junction where the stage left the North-South route and went to Choteau. Although not much of a "town" it was appropriately named "Steele." It did not consist of much more than a two story wood and brick building that served as the stage-coach stop and post office for the area. The building apparently still stands on private farm land on the Bill Neuman ranch, northwest of Vaughn, overlooking the Muddy Creek valley.

During this period of time (1884-1890), George also resumed his ranching career, gradually recovering some of his financial success.

At about the time George was nearing the end of this period of his life, a narrow-guage railroad was being planned to carry coal from Lethbridge, Canada, to Great Falls. Called the "Great Falls and Canada Railroad", it was constructed virtually along side of what is now HWY 15, passing through Conrad, Dutton, Steele, Vaughn, and into Great Falls. The stage-coach stop of Steele became a railroad station as well as a stage-coach stop. The railroad was completed on October 1, 1890, after George had already left the position and had received his first of two appointments as agent for the Blackfeet. The railroad ran daily from Great Falls to Shelby, and three times a week to Lethbridge.

Plagued by lawsuits and other economic problems, the railroad was purchased by the Great Northern Railroad in 1896 and converted to standard guage. A short time after the transfer, the Great Northern built a rail line from Power to Choteau, thus bypassing the station at Steel."
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
emilia49 16 Feb 2012 7:26PM GMT 
DROBINSON4 17 Feb 2012 2:13AM GMT 
emilia49 17 Feb 2012 6:46PM GMT 
DROBINSON4 18 Feb 2012 2:16AM GMT 
emilia49 18 Feb 2012 4:22PM GMT 
DROBINSON4 19 Feb 2012 3:40PM GMT 
emilia49 23 Feb 2012 10:10PM GMT 
DROBINSON4 26 Feb 2012 3:42PM GMT 
DROBINSON4 17 Feb 2012 2:30AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic