Search for content in message boards

J.F. Lewis photographs and writes about the 'old timers' of Elalaka for Montana papers

Replies: 0

J.F. Lewis photographs and writes about the 'old timers' of Elalaka for Montana papers

Posted: 3 Feb 2010 9:40AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Lewis

THE FREMONT COUNTY HERALD. Sidney, Iowa. February 13, 1919. "LETTER FROM LEWIS". -- In a brief note to the Herald bunch, J. F. Lewis of Ekalaka, Montana, under date of February 3, says in part:

"Hello! Yesterday was groundhog day and it was cloudy, but as we have not groundhogs here we have to take the weather as it comes. It snowed just a little last night, less than half an inch, but the sun is on the job again today. In January we had more than three weeks of bright sunshine and delightful weather. They say the farmers have been plowing an seeding and one man said he saw a grasshopper.

"I am writing up this section and the old timers of Montana for the Montana Newspaper association of Great Falls. They furnish "patent insides" for the country newwspapers of the state. My articles are illustrated with photographs by Lewis. The association falls for my stuff all right. Have had several nice letters from them. Got one last week from the vice president of the concern. He said: 'We have your last two stories in type waiting publication. Want you to keep up the good work of writing for which you seem to have a particular bent. We find that any stories of historical nature are read eagerly by the people of Montana.'

"The postoffice people said there never were so many copies of the Ekalaka Eagle mailed out as there were of the number containing my story of the "Old Cow Town." The editor said he had calls for a thousand copies. I think he exaggerated a little."

Find a board about a specific topic