Search for content in message boards

Early families of Knox and Shelby Co.'s

Replies: 4

Re: Early families of Knox and Shelby Co.'s

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 2:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McKethen, McCarty
I am descended from Patrick McCarty who moved to Shelby Co. MO from WV in the mid-1800's, and from Robert McKethen who was born in NC, raised in TN and moved to Shelby Co. with his family in the early 1830's.

There is already a story about Robert McKethen that has been posted. Here is a story of Patrick McCarty's death in 1874:

"Pat McCarty, a prominent citizen of of Clarence, was the proprietor of a steam mill, which property he had purchased from its founder, Mr. Wilson. Mr. McCarty was a man of many friends and many enemies. He was a jolly, wholesouled man and one who cherished his home.

On the night of October 6, 1874, Mr. McCarty was seated near a window in his sitting room, where he had been fondling his child on his knee. He had just put down his little one and taken up a newspaper when an assassin fired through the window a heavy charge of bird shot, which penetrated his body, killing him instantly.

A coroner’s jury was impaneled by Esquire Scates and a few days’ investigation ensued, without important results. No clue was ever obtained as to the identity of the perpetrator. Suspicion ran rife, much of it no doubt unjust, but as the victim of a stealthy coward was he shot down before his loved ones."

From "General History of Shelby County, Missouri - 1911" ,Chapter XIII, from Selby County rootsweb
http://www.rootsweb.com/~moshelby/index.htm

Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Patty McCarty Kirby

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Suzanne Crawford 27 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT 
LORINE 16 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Loishunz 25 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Sharalyn Spiteri 31 Aug 2002 10:06PM GMT 
MsPMcCarty 8 Feb 2012 9:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic