Search for content in message boards

Schools in the Centerview Twp, Johnson County, MO

Replies: 3

Re: Schools in the Centerview Twp, Johnson County, MO

Posted: 1487386909000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Houx
I am a Houx. Several generations of Houxes grew up in Centerview and I know it well. The Houxes have a very "colorful" history from the Civil War and after. Many of the Houx family descendants still live on the land that was originally patented to them in the 1830s. My Uncle Mathias Houx's house is believed to be one of the the first houses built in Johnson County (around 1830-40) and is still standing. He and his brother, my ggggrandfather Michael Morningstar Houx, and a cousin, Robert, rode with Quantrill. All were on Quantrill's original roster. Around that time two of the brothers moved to north Texas afraid they would be forced to fight against their brothers. There are many descendants still there. Also, Nicholas Houx was the second to file a land patent in the county and the first county court was held in his home which was near Columbus. Later, a branch of the Houx family owned the limestone quarries north of Warrensburg. I'm happy to share anything I have (which is quite a bit) on the family, the area, and the Houx school. My grandfather and family attended the Houx school. I have a picture of the schoolhouse as well. I may have a copy of some of the school records- I'll have to look through our files - but the Johnson County Historical Society does for sure.
Jodi Houx
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bigdandme90 1374980296000 
whoville_1 1468444569000 
SankofaBarbie 1484698693000 
whoville_1 1487386909000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic