Source: Clipping from a newspaper, probably the St. Clair Chronicle 4-23-1959
(date was handwritten)
OLDEST LANDMARK IN TOWN BEING RAZED FOR LUMBER
The Briegleb building on Main street just south of International Shoe Factory is being torn down. It was built 103 years ago by John Briegleb, who used the ground floor as a wagon shop and blacksmithy; and also built coffins at $2.50 each in pine, $5.00 in walnut. Mr. Briegleb died 49 years ago and the prope ty is owned now by his son, Hugh Briegleb. Mrs. John (Drusilla) Briegleb lived almost 100 years and the wagon shop was virtually new when she came to St. Clair as his bride.
Sentiment has prompted Hugh Briegleb, a member of the St. Clair police force, to keep the building as a landmark but common sense dictates that it come down, he says. Repair would cost more than its worth and a few sound but loose boards might have blown down with injuries resulting. Sentiment goes with the Briegleb resident also. None but a Briegleb has ever lived there. The dwelling, built for John Briegleb before his marriage to Drucilla Boyd, is perilously close to the railroad track now because the house was there before the railraod came and was at a sufficiently safe distance not to be moved.
John Briegleb formerly rented the second floor of his wagon shop as a lodgehall. For some years it was St. Clair's only public meeting house. He closed the shop long enough to serve in the Civil War and re-opened his business when the war was over, later becoming street commissioner. The Chronicle will publish a photo next week.