Search for content in message boards

G W Tull, photographer

Replies: 1

Re: G W Tull, photographer

Posted: 1479399286000
Classification: Query
Good morning. I am also attempting to find information regarding this photographer.
From the Truman State Library archives I have discovered a few things.

http://library.truman.edu/manuscripts/M7-Morris-Tull.asp

As far as I can tell, Frances Tull married Jihn Morris. He is said to be "Kirksville’s first photographer." He left Kirksville in the 1880s, and Fannie's brother George Tull took over the business.

John H Morris (1836-1909), Kirksville’s first photographer, moved to this city from his native Orange County, VA around 1862. Frances J “Fannie” Tull (1846-1931), originally from Elizabethtown, KY, moved to Missouri at about age 3 and lived in Clark and Macon counties before arriving in Kirksville, probably about the same time as her future husband. The couple married in Kirksville, June 11, 1868.

John operated his photography studio in Kirksville for about 20 years, from his arrival until he moved to Queen City, MO in the early 1880s. At some date, probably late 1870s, George W Tull, Fannie’s brother, joined the firm and when John left Kirksville, took over as sole proprietor. John lived in Queen City, where he owned a mercantile store and was a partner in another photography studio, for about 10 years then “retired” and returned to Kirksville. Back home, he dabbled in several businesses, including real estate and sewing machine sales, until his death in 1909. Fannie continued to live here with her children, Zena Mae and Emery L, until her own death twenty-one years later.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Greg Hitt 970142400000 
connor bounds 1479399286000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic