Search for content in message boards

Do you know any COWANs in Yazoo County?

Replies: 2

Do you know any COWANs in Yazoo County?

Posted: 975585600000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1035469232000
Surnames: Cowan, Tooma, Anderson, Wiles, Barton, McDowell, McNeal, Eckles, Satcher, Runnells, Broughton, Trotter
I am looking for surviving (and dead, I guess) COWAN relatives in the Hinds/Yazoo County area.

My George COWAN came to Jasper Co, MS, from Rowan Co, NC where he was born 1813 to William Simms and Mary Polly ANDERSON COWAN. He married Sarah Ann TOOMA (from her daughters death certificate - may be incorrect) probably in Jasper Co, MS. She was born in MS/NC 4-28-1822 died in Hinds Co, MS, in June 15, 1850, and is buried in the Brownsville Cemetery. George and Sarah had children: James J COWAN; William Thomas COWAN (my ancestor); Eugenia C COWAN; and George COWAN Jr.

James J COWAN was born c1840 in Garlandsville, Jasper Co, MS, and was married to Martha J ECKLES (d/o Edward W and Mary Ann RUNNELLS ECKLES) in Hinds Co, MS on 10-26-1865. She died almost exactly a year later, on October 20, 1866, and is buried in the Brownsville Cemetery. She apparently died in childbirth as her mother, Mary Ann RUNNELLS ECKLES SATCHER, was raising a child, James M COWAN b: Oct 1866, during the 1870 census. At that same time, James M and his brother William T COWAN were living in Madison Co, MS, where James apparently married again on Nov 10, 1870 to Amanda P WILES. I find one other marriage which might be this same James marrying in Yazoo Co, MS (where his brother Wm T lived at that time) on Nov 4, 1880 to B L BARTON. I do not know what ever became of James J COWAN. His son, James M COWAN married Maggie McNEAL (b: Mar 1870) on Dec 28, 1887, in Yazoo County, MS. They had children: Ellis COWAN b: Nov 1888; Ruby M COWAN b: Aug 1890; Mellia COWAN b: Aug 1892; Maggie COWAN b: Jan 1894; Autell COWAN b: Aug 1895; James M COWAN Jr b: Jun 1899. I do not know anything further of James M or his children - surely some of his descendants are still in the Hinds/Yazoo County area.

George COWAN Jr son of George and Mary Ann TOOMA COWAN was born c1849 in Brownsville, Hinds Co, MS and married Dec 23, 1874 in Hinds Co, MS, to Nancy R/K McDowell. At the time of the 1880 Hinds Co census, they had one daughter: Eugenia b: c1880 in Brownsville, Hinds Co, MS. I know nothing further of George and his descendants.

I have information on William T COWAN and the only sister Eugenia C COWAN. She married Samuel Wilson TROTTER and had several daughters (one married a Jesse BIRDSONG). She ended up in Andalusia, Covington Co, AL, with her unmarried daughter Willia COWAN and her daughter Adele BROUGHTON. I am interested to know more about these two, however, I do have more on these lines than I do on James J and George Jr.

So, if you know of any Cowans living in the Hinds/Yazoo/Madison county area, please print this out and ask them if they would contact me. I know that George was a planter and slave owner. I have some slave names, ages, etc in George's estate file which spanned 13 years - which I could share with anyone who would like to know where their surname came from. Thanks! Marianne Cowan Pyeatt 870-488-5453 P O Box 504 Mountain Home, AR 72654-0504 or
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
M_Pyeatt 975585600000 
Larry_Meek 1183928497000 
Jed M Gresham 1515632318000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic