Classification: Query
Surnames: Rawlins Weir
Martin Jackson Rawlins and Margaret Weir
1. Rootsweb Family Tree by

2. Rootsweb Posting From:
Subject: [MSWILKIN] Rawlins Slaves
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:57:47 EST
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:33:54 EST

Martin Jackson Rawlins, born January 1833, Wilkinson County, Mississippi, son of Benjamin Rawlins and Elizabeth Coates (reference above sources, as well as 1850 census return)
Indicted December 11, 1850 for murdering his cousin Jefferson Rawlins. A reward of $250 was offered, but his whereabouts were unknown, although it was rumoured that he had fled to Canada.
Several of my family’s sources confirm that Margaret Weir (b. April 1848 North of Kingston, Ontario) married one Martin J. Rawlins, and was last known to be living in New Jersey. She was the daughter of Hugh Weir and Isabella Anderson who came to Canada about 1841.
In the 1861 census returns for Kingston, Ontario, there is an M. Rawling, who reported he was b. in Louisiana in 1836.
Census records, 1880 and 1900 show Marlin J and Margaret Rawlins with children Isabella Jennie (or Jane), b. January 1872 and Edgar Hugh, b. August 13, 1878 (Ref: WW I Draft registration) both born in Whitesboro, Oneida County, New York State. According to the 1900 census record, Martin and Margaret were married about 1870, and moved to US in 1871 – therefore they were probably married in Ontario.
In 1881, Martin got drunk at a local hotel, and fell breaking his arm. Margaret sued the owner a local brewery owner (reference )
By 1910 they had moved to Manhattan, where Edgar was working for Westinghouse in construction. In 1914, Edgar, his mother Margaret and sister Isabella had moved to Norwood Pa. They soon after moved again to Newark New Jersey. Neither Edgar nor Isabella ever married.
Reference LDS data base – New York City death registrations Martin Jackson Rawlins died January 19, 1911 in Manhattan and was buried in Whitesboro, NY, January 22, 1911. The record gives his age as 78 (i.e. b. ca 1833), father Benjamin Rawlins and mother’s maiden name Coates. This information is conclusive enough to confirm that the Martin Rawlins who married Margaret Weir to the Martin Jackson Rawlins who murdered Jefferson Rawlins

If anyone wants more detail, let me know.

Find a board about a specific topic