Search for content in message boards

Family Search - Rutherford - lived in Sunflower, Leflore Counties and Glen Allan, MS

Replies: 1

Family Search - Rutherford - lived in Sunflower, Leflore Counties and Glen Allan, MS

Posted: 1371589887000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rutherford, Clark, Brandon, Upchurch
I found Miss Mozelle's information about a family plot NW of Drew, MS. web location....
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mssunflo/RutherfordCem.htm...

I am from Louisiana and my great grandmother was Emma Elizabeth Rutherford Hodgkins. She lived in Glen Allan, MS with her mother Emma Clark Rutherford and father James Rutherford. His brother - Thomas and his family seem to be the ones buried in the Rutherford cemetery listed above. It is now in the middle of farmland just where Mozelle said it was. I drove there summer of 2012 and visited the site. Five large marble headstones marked the graves and was surrounded by an iron fence.

The interesting thing was that the graves were all on the top of a mound, similar to the Indian mounds along the delta in Mississippi and Louisiana. I wondered if only the family was buried there, was there a house or plantation nearby? I do not know how to find those records. I would like more information about how family plots were determined and if they were often near the house. The size of the headstones and single plot seem to me to indicate the family had some means at some point in time, but that is only my speculation.

Not to far down the dirt road is another cemetery that has many graves and the years seem to start in the late 1800s, which is not long after some of the Rutherford plot graves. If you can help me, that would be wonderful. Thanks. Lynn.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
blbrandon15 1371589887000 
JanetRu6 1509759871000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic