Search for content in message boards

Tom Strange - Died in Pontotoc?

Replies: 0

Tom Strange - Died in Pontotoc?

Posted: 1521740974000
Classification: Query
Surnames: strange, bearden
Hi all,

I'm looking for information on a Tom Strange who lived in Pontotoc County in 1910. I believe he may have died there in 1910 or 1911.

In 1900, Tom was living in Calera, Shelby County, Alabama with first wife Mary (nee Martin or Miller). His birth is given as Jun 1862.

Mary died in 1902 and Tom married Emma Jane Bearden in 1903. According to the 1910 Census, the family was living in Beat 4, Pontotoc, Mississippi, and Tom's occupation was listed as farmer. However, by 1911, Emma was back in Shelby County and remarried to a W. H. Farr.

I'm trying to clear up some confusion over the family. Some Ancestry trees have Tom connected to a Thomas Hoyt Strange who lived in Oklahoma and died in Cochise, Arizona. I believe that this is *not* the same Tom Strange as you can trace the two different Tom's through the censuses.

There are also trees that also link Tom to parents David M.C. Strange and Alabama Bolander, which may also be incorrect according to a book published about the Strange family. It lists a different spouse and children for the Tom born of David and Alabama.

I only suspect that Tom died in Pontotoc. I've read that death certificates weren't mandatory until 1912, however. Would someone familiar with the region and records available be willing to point me in a research direction? I believe the family was Baptist, so there may be church records?

Thanks in advance,
Jen

Find a board about a specific topic