Researching the following family:
William Bernard MURPHY was born on 22 December 1833 in possibly McNairy County, TN (1900 census also shows place of birth for Wm B's mother and father as TN). Resided in Minerva, Montgomery County, MS. He served in the Civil War, but is not the same W.B. Murphy that is listed in the 2nd MS Infantry, Company A. He married Mary Eleanor CHATHAM, daughter of William P CHATHAM and Elizabeth ???, in 1872 (probably Carroll Co., MS.) He and Mary Eleanor CHATHAM appeared on the census of 11 August 1870 in Dwelling #81, Carrollton, Carroll County, MS. He and Mary Eleanor CHATHAM appeared on the census of 4 June 1900 in Supv District 4, E.D. 83, Beat No. 5, Montgomery County, MS. He died on 10 December 1900 in Kilmichael, Montgomery County, MS, at age 66. He and Mary E. are buried in Friendship Cemetery, Kilmichael, Montgomery County, MS.
Children of William B. MURPHY and Mary Eleanor CHATHAM:
1. M[ary?] Edmonia MURPHY. Was also known as Monie. She was born 28 Aug 1863 in MS. She married John William FORD. He was born 5 Oct 1861. He died 9 Mar 1902. She died 16 May 1943. They are both buried in Duck Hill Cemetery, Duck Hill, Montgomery County, MS.
2. W Robert MURPHY. Born circa 1867 in MS. He died before 1900 in probably MS. Burial place unknown.
3. John Roland MURPHY. He was born on 22 May 1868 in Lodi, Carroll County, MS. He married Mary Edna SPIVEY, daughter of William Albert SPIVEY and Narcisse Eudora KENT, on 14 August 1901 in Winona, Montgomery County, MS He died on 22 March 1946 in Charity Hospital, Raymond, Hinds, MS. He and Mary Edna are buried in Friendship Cemetary, Kilmichael, Montgomery County, MS.
4. Edna Earl MURPHY. She was born in April 1870 in MS. She married Samuel P. WILLIAMS after 1900 (speculation based on 1900 census showing Edna E., age 30, single). She died in 1954.
5. Henry MURPHY was born in 1872 in probably MS. He died before 1900 in probably MS. Burial place unknown.*
6. Minnie Malona MURPHY was born on 11 February 1874 in probably MS. She married Edward Addison LOCKE Sr, (1861-1938), son of John Roots LOCKE (1816-1883)and Mary Ann FLOWERS (1836-1910). She died on 23 October 1958 in Kilmichael, Montgomery County, MS, at age 84, and was buried in Flowers Cemetary, Kilmichael, Montgomery County, MS.
* 1900 Montgomery Co., MS census shows W. B. and Mary had 2 children no longer living. Family oral history includes the tale of two brothers who were killed "in ambush" by robbers (possibly along Natchez Trace.) As the family was bringing the bodies back to Kilmichael for burial, the coffins began leaking blood, so they were forced to bury them where they were, purportedly somewhere in Carroll County MS. Robert Henry MURPHY, son of John Roland MURPHY, is supposedly named after these two brothers.]
Have fairly good information about the Kent progenitors of this line; however, William B. Murphy's parentage is to this day an unanswered question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.