SNEED, SNEYD, SNEAD, FAMILY. Richard Sneed of Derbyshire, England, is mentioned in the book of heraldry. He was High Sheriff of Marshall, and executioner of the Earl of Derby. The tradition is that he was the father of Samuel Sneed, ancestor of the Granville County, N. C. Family of that name.
There is record of the marriage of Samuel Sneed and Ruth Dudley in Hanover County, Va., in 1732.
This Samuel was the father of Stephen Sneed, of Granville County, N. C., a Caption in General William Morgan's army of the Revolutionary War, and for whom he named his first son William Morgan Sneed.
This Stephen Sneed, from the Revolution down to his death in 1821, served as the first Clerk of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions of Granville County, N. C. , and on his death was succeeded by his son, Stephen K. Sneed, who held the office until his removal to La Grange, Tenn., in 1835.
The children of Stephen Sneed and his wife, who was Mary Williams, were:
1. William Morgan Sneed, Oxford, N.C.
2. Dr. James Sneed, Gouchland, VA.
3. Archibald Sneed, Washington, GA.
4. Dr. Richard R. Sneed, Williamsboro, N.C.,
later locating at Henderson, Ky.
5. Junius Sneed, Galesburg, N.C.
6. Albert Gallatin Sneed, who moved to Tallahatchie County, Miss., in 1835, and to Canton, Madison County, Miss., in 1849.
7. Samuel Farrow Sneed, Choclahoma, Miss.
8. Stephen K. Sneed, La Grange, Tenn.
9. Sally Williams Sneed, afterwards wife of Bishop William
Mercer Green, the First Episcopal Bishop of Miss.
10. Emily Dudley Sneed, who died unmarried.
Branches to be found in England, Ireland, and America under the patronymic of Sneed, Sneyd, and Snead. Teh or original stock known in Derbyshire and Stafford County. From a curious book in the Congressional Library at Washington, D.C., entitled "Shirley's Noble and Gentle Men", the following notice of the Sneed family is taken:
"'Sneed", "Sneyd', "Snead': - A parish in Shropshire, England, and hamlet in the parish of Tunstall, in the County of Stafford. From the latter the family designated in the book as 'the noble race of Sneyd of great worship and account' derive their origin. They were seated there in the time of Henry III, 1260. By marriage with the heiress of Tunstall they acquired other lands in the Parish, and they were called Sneyd or Tonstall.
From Lower's "Patronymica Britannica" is found the following reference to the Sneed family:
"The arms of the family are a curiosity of heraldry, being partly of the allusive kind and consisting of a scythe and fleurde lis. The fleur de lis is traditionally said to have been added to the cost of Richard de Tunstall or Sneyd after the battle of Picitiers, but I should rather consider it to have been part of the original device, and to have allegirical reference to the mortality of man. "The flower of the field, which in the evening is cut down and withereth'."
1. William Morgan Sneed married Fanny Ridley; left no children.
2. Dr. James Sneed married Miss Crouch, of Richmond, VA. His children were Sallie Sneed, Emily Dudley Sneed, Courtland Sneed, John Crouch Sneed, Mary Sneed, James Sneed, and Stephen Sneed.
3. Archibald Sneed married Abigal Roddy, and left the following children: James Roddy Sneed, Nathaniel Macon Sneed, Emily Dudley Sneed, Mary Sneed, Sally Sneed, Archibald Sneed.
4. Dr. Richard R. Sneed married Miss Lucy Henderson of North Carolina. His children were: William Morgan Sneed, Cornelia Sneed, Sallie Sneed, Emily Sneed, Lucy Sneed, Bettie Sneed, Jennie Sneed, Stephen K. Sneed, Leon Sneed, and five others.
5. Junius Sneed married Julia Rowan Taylor, a daughter of the Chief Justice Taylor of North Carolina and left the following children: Julia Jane, who married Richard Greene, William Barry Groce, married Anna Henderson, John Louis Taylor, married Mary She Shepard. Stephen, married Miss Matilda Ennis. Margaret A., married Henry S. Farmer. Junius Gaston, married Virginia Mickie, and his children were : Junius, John, Julia (deceased) and Arthur.
6. Albert Gallatin Sneed married Maria Frances Bullock, daughter of Dr. Benjamin F. Bullock and Elizabeth Gooch, both of Granville County, N.C. His children were Stephen Sneed, Mary Williams Sneed, Albert Sneed, William Morgan Sneed, Frances Elizabeth Sneed, Sallie Greene Sneed, John Ravencroft and James Ives Sneed (twins), Benjamin Bullock Sneed, Emily Dudley Sneed, Richard Alexander Sneed, Archibald Junius Sneed, and Erasmus Darwin Sneed.
7. Samuel Farrow Sneed married Octavia Roddy and had no children.
8. Stephen Keutozoff Sneed married Nancy Martin Lyne. His children were: Lucy, who married Mr. Williams. Mary Jane, married. Anna, married. Albert Mara.
9. Sally Williams Sneed, married Bishop William Mercer Greene of Mississippi. Her children were: James S. Greene, John Ravenscroft Green, William Morgan Greene,
and Fannie Williams Greene.
Sometime in the 40's Albert Gallatin Sneed and his wife Maria Frances Bullock Sneed, came to Mississippi from Granville County N.C. They settled in Tallahatchie County, at a little town known as Preston. the old Sneed place is still known by some of the older persons near Charleston, Miss.
All the children were born in North Carolina with the exception of Richard Alexander Sneed, who was born at Preston, Tallahatchie County, August, 27, 1945. Between the years 1845 & '47 they moved to Yazoo County, Benton, Mississippi. On Auguts 15, 1847 Arahibald Junius Sneed was born. Then in 1848 the family moved to Madison County, near Canton, Mississippi. Sometime in August (I don't know the date) in 1848 Erasmus Darwin Sneed was in the Old Sneed home 4 miles NW of Canton,which is still standing. It has passed out of the hands of the Sneed family and is now owned by a family by the name of Murphy.
After the Civil War Archibald Junis Sneed, (son of Albert Gallatin and Maria Frances Sneed) married Eleanor Butler Hays, Jackson, Tenn. January, 20th, 1869, daughter of Richaed Jackson Hays & Sarah Ballou Hayes, (all are deceased). There were 12 children born to this union, 6 died in infancy. The six who lived were; Archibald Junius, Jr. (deceased). 1897 he married Eleanor Mellon of Canton, Miss. (deceased). There were six children born to this union; Archibald Junius, Jr. of Los Angeles, Calif; He is married I do not know the year, his wife is named Thelma,I do not know her last name. To this union was born three children; Dian, Richard, and the baby, I don't the name. Mellon Perry Sneed, New York City, N.Y. I don't know whether he is married or not. Carol Ambrose Sneed, Los Angeles, Calif. I don't know whether or not he is married. An infant who died. Marian Eleanor Sneed, who died at the age of 12 years, in 1919.
Richard Hays Sneed (deceased ) who married Callie Campbell, of Belen, Mississippi, April 1911. One child Richard Hays Sneed,jr. He married Jeanne Schull,of Tralake, Mississippi I do not know the year. Two children were born to this union. Shirley Jeanne Sneed, age 10 years. Richard Hays S need, age 9 years.
John Ravenscroft Sneed (deceased) married Janie Roberts of Jackson, La. (deceased). Five children were born to this union. John Ravenscroft, Jr. Meridian, Miss. Percy Hays Sneed, Value, Miss. Sara Eleanor Sneed, Vicksburg, Miss. (Mrs Arthur Whatley), Charles Tennie Sneed deceased). He died at the age of 2 1/2 years, 1915. John Ravencraft,Sr. married Nell Walker,Yazoo City, Miss.(deceased), One child born to this union. Nell Walker Sneed married and living in Memphis,Tenn. I do not know her married name. 1921 he married Mrs. Sallie McMaster,of Canton, Miss. Still living, no children.
Stokley Ellis Sneed, (deceased) Oct. 8th,1907.died unmarried.
William Mercer Green Sneed,(deacesed). 1915 married Elixa Burrus,Benton, Miss.(deceased) one child,Alice Eleanor Sneed(Mrs. Robert Shurley, Jr.) yazoo City, Miss/ In 1921 he married Adaline Smith of New Orleans, La.(deacesed) one child,William Mercer Green Sneed, Jr. U. S. Army, now stationed in Germany. 1933 he married Mrs. Irene Adams. Canton, Misss. Still living. No children.
Sallie Maria Sneed, Canton, Mississippi, unmarried
This is more of my Research on the Sneeds of Madison Co, Ms
Frederick J. Walker please e-mail if you can email@example.com