Search for content in message boards

BURKHALTER, Jones

Replies: 4

Re: Jones Burkhalter

Posted: 1508528273000
Classification: Query
I'm new to studying this side of my family, but I have a picture of my great grandmother Martha Burkhalter, and posted it to ancestry. Martha was the daughter to Albert George Burkhalter, and he the son to george Burkhalter. The family did eventually end up in Shreveport, and are still located there today. I just the other day finally figured out they were from Covington & jones county, and DID have some sort of mixed race. I found that Ophelia (alberts sister)said they had Native American blood. But a lot of people back then would assume they were Native American, rather than admit to other races. I also really think my Spanish Portuguese genes also originate from this side of the family, as my father with black hair, brown eyes has always tanned ridiculously well considering every other side is Swedish. I read somewhere about there being a lot of Spanish settlers there. Does anyone know where the Burkhalters stood in the history of jones county? Were they part of the free state? Were they against it? I've wondered. Now I see why maybe some only put they were from Mississippi, never mentioning jones county,Mississippi. I wonder why they left for Shreveport? Does anyone know? I grew up knowing nothing in Wisconsin of my history, but I'm trying now.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Addie Howell 914241600000 
Bob Weed 934718400000 
sherry burkhalter bancroft 938606400000 
AnnMcDonald66 940161600000 
courtneybjorn 1508528273000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic