Search for content in message boards

Family connections? Foley/Gallagher/Foley

Replies: 0

Family connections? Foley/Gallagher/Foley

Posted: 1542141632000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Foley Gallagher Foley
I see these boards aren’t very active but I am giving it a shot. I have read this Waseca board and have seen some familiar names but now I need to hopefully link a few names to get a clearer picture. I do know from research that many groups of immigrants tended to live in proximity to others (either family or friends) as they moved across the country and eventually made roots. This is a situation I hope that works for me. Here is information I have and what I am seeking. There are 3 families in Waseca county in the mid-1800s I am hoping to connect.

1) Thomas Foley (my ancestor), married Ann Hayden. Came to US 1848 (1900 Census), lived in Albany NY until moving to Montello Wisc. In 1855. (He is in Wisc 1855 census. 1 Male/1Female) After Civil War got married and moved to Waseca County in 1865. According to obituary they ended up at home of M. Gallagher. I have determined this has to be Michael Gallagher. (Thomas also appeared in 1860 Census but with a John(29yrs) and Mary(55yrs). This just adds to confusion)

2) Michael Gallagher married a Mary/Marie/Maria Foley. Came to US in 1847 and was in NY for 7 years and then moved to Marquette County Wisc. (This is where Montello Wisc is) In 1863 came to Waseca. (I did find a Gallagher family in Montello wisc in 1855)

3) Patrick Foley married Ann Lang. In 1865 Patrick was also in Waseca (next to Gallagher in Census). Came to US in 1847. 1st found in Waseca census in 1865.

So, my question is this, since Irish immigrants tended to stick together is there any known or possible connection between these 3 families besides the coincidental presence of a Foley surname? I have 3 groups of Irish immigrants arriving in US around same time and their path across the US is almost identical. It is very apparent to me that the 3 families knew each other. (Thomas Foley had a ‘Patrick Foley’ as a sponsor for his Naturalization and were neighbors in at least 1 Census). The other interesting link I found is from the Waseca Historical Society site. There are at a couple of pictures of people from my Foley side that were found in the collection of the McBride family. (They are descendants of Patrick Foley). There you have it, a lot of circumstantial evidence but nothing concrete. Any and all information gratefully accepted.

Also I see there was a Foley Furniture in Janesville at one time but dont know what if any connections there to anyone. Thanks and have a great day!

Find a board about a specific topic