Search for content in message boards

Sylvester McComber from Ontario, Canada to Mason County, Michigan in 1862

Replies: 1

Sylvester McComber from Ontario, Canada to Mason County, Michigan in 1862

Posted: 1446170902000
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCumber, Macomber, McEmber, Foster
I am just working on putting together a file for Sylvester McComber senior and his descendents. He was born 1800-1805 time frame in New York state, some say at Jefferson County, NYS- and died in 1880 in Mason County, Michigan. He was in Ontario, Canada at least by the 1830's. He was married twice. First wife was Esther Foster who died about 1858, according to online posts. He re-married in 1860 to a woman who went by two given names: Matilda and Amanda. I still do not know her maiden name and would love to have that information.

Sylvester and his second wife Matilda/Amanda moved to Michigan in 1862 with several children. Sylvester had at least ten children from his first marriage and ten that I can identify from his second marriage. Sylvester and family lived at Riverton, Mason County, Michigan. He died in Feb. 1880. His wife and children were still there in 1880 but at some point after that, several of the children moved to Oceana County. I cannot find Amanda/Matilda past 1880- did she die young? did she re-marry? She was born about 1840 in Ontario.

For several of the children when they got married, they did not record names of their parents- in one case name of father Sylvester McCumber was recorded but mother was "not known". Or names for both parents was blank- were the children adopted out while young and did not know their parents' names? Did they live with some of their older brothers or sisters from Sylvester's first marriage?

If anyone has information that I can add to my file as I work, please post here, or contact me directly and I will be more than happy to share the "finished" file with anyone who wants it. (Genealogy is never "finished"....)

Several of the children went by surname "McEmber" in Michigan.

Thx from Nora
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
NoraMcL 1446170902000 
thomasker2 1446209379000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic