Search for content in message boards

Trying to Find out the orgin of Bourasa

Replies: 23

Re: Trying to Find out the orgin of Bourasa

Posted: 1491784419000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Topinbee, Bertrand, Bourassa
Hi -- not sure if this is helpful. Madeleine Bertrand (nee Bourassa Topinbee) is my 4th great Grandmother (which would mean that Daniel Bourassa I is my 4th great grandfather), and I've been doing quite a bit of my own research. From what I can glean from historical texts and also from Citizen Potawatomie Nation, they say that Toinbee the Elder is not related to Bourassa, and neither is Madeleine biologically. It is said generally in agreements from historians that Daniel Bourassa married a Potawatomi woman, possibly named (Angelique Nogewi). She and her whole family would have been possibly adopted by Topinbee and carry that name in a sense as it was common then. Madeleine was their daughter. Later, when she married Joseph Bertrand, he rose to great prominence in the fur trade as a go between for the Potawatomi. She would have had Topinbee in her name, as the adopted, yet she is also referred to many times as a "half breed", meaning that Topinbee is not her bilogical father. This is the guidance of our tribe and most historians at the time -- Daniel Bourassa is french, married to a Potawatomi, daughter Madeleine Bertrand is half and half, they were ALL adopted by Topinbee, meaning, taken into his family / tribe : )
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
civers01 1214507608000 
Gellidius 1222268879000 
LEPH1 1305891392000 
Brook Bartlet... 1491784419000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic