Vansville which is located about 1/2 mile south of Phoenix,Keweenaw county.
In Feb. 1849 Joel A.Vaughn was notified that he was the owner of about 8 acres of land in Keweenaw..He and his wife Polly lived in a rough shack until he built a log cabin.He was working at the Cliff Mine at that time.With the influx of people, Vaughn
had 5 buildings on his acreage and the town was named in honor of him., then called Vaughnville.Jeol Vaughn died in Oct of 1862 and was buried in the Eagle River Cemetery.His widow sold the property to Morris G.Hanover in Aug. of 1864.
In May 1865 Morris sold it to James Prideaux who set up a grocery store on it.Prideaux died in 1901
Vaughville had a Tavern and a Commercial House and a postoffice.Early names from Vaughnville history are Fecteau,Knivel, Bruneau and Dee.Daniel Sullivan and former
sheriff of Houghton , Joseph Trudell.The Prideaux store supplied the local mining towns wiht goods.
The store was vacant from 1901-1927 when Mr Alex Rota bought it.He converted it into a resort.Later years Alex's son
Bernard joined in.The Rota family to this day still own it.