Search for content in message boards

Hecla Cemetary List

Replies: 46

Re: Hecla Cemetary List

Greg Skoviak (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2002 10:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello
I also have relatives in that cemetary. However there is no record of who is buried there. The Hecla Mine Company kept those records and they are apparently gone for all time. The catholic church in Calumet (St Paul's) was able to confirm the date & burial site, Hecla for me. But I had to send them some dates & names & then they searched their records and responded in about 2 or 3 month's time. From that I was able to search the newspapers of the late 1890's at Michigan Tech and found a death notice. So for more info on your relatives you might try this approach. As for the cemetary itself, I was determined to try and find my relatives in the cemetary so I made a semi systematic search of the place. I had been told that only 5 or 6 graves were located there but when I went there in mid november (there was no snow yet) I found many graves (50 or more) plus I located another 25 to 50 more that I could not turn the fallen stones. (Didn't bring all the tools I needed.) The Cemetary has completely been reclaimed by nature, large trees thick underbrush grows everywhere within it. In the middle of this forest, is a large teenagers fort which contains pieces of various stones. It appears that the cemetary was abandoned 60 or 80 years ago hence its poor shape. Many of the fallen stones were covered with soil or a thick ivy like growth that completely obscured them, it was only by stepping on the stones or probing with a staff that I would find them. I was amazed at just how many graves there actually where and thought it would be a shame to not at least record the names for others so I wrote them down in a somewhat orderly fashion so that others would have a chance of finding them also. However because I was running out of daylight, many of the stones that had fallen and where covered could not be researched or read. Also many had fallen in such a way that the writing was on the side down and I didn't have the tools available to dig them out and turn them. I was unable to find my relatives so I will be going back this spring, with more tools & time. If you want I can find & photograph the stones of your relatives when I go. Just let me know! Glad to be of some help. If there is anything you'd like to know just email me.
Sincerely
Greg Skoviak
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
g_skoviak 7 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Mary Hinchman 7 Feb 2002 4:45PM GMT 
Greg Skoviak 7 Feb 2002 5:23PM GMT 
Karen Ekstrand Spaeth 4 Aug 2002 2:48PM GMT 
Greg Skoviak 5 Aug 2002 1:23PM GMT 
Karen Ekstrand Spaeth 6 Aug 2002 3:51AM GMT 
Ida Downs 6 Aug 2002 11:58PM GMT 
Greg Skoviak 7 Aug 2002 12:39PM GMT 
Ida Downs 7 Aug 2002 10:46PM GMT