PORTRAIT & BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM, 1884
GRATIOT COUNTY, MICHIGAN
Charles Griffith, farmer on section 20, Fulton Township, is a son of Lewis and Hannah (Boyer) Griffith, natives of New York. They settled after marriage in Chemung County, New York, where she died. Mr. G. afterwards came to Lenawee County, Michigan, where he still resides. Charles, the eldest of a family, was born in Chemung County, New York, January 18, 1835.
Receiving a common-school education, he remained at home till about 20 years old, and was then employed by the month for six years. In the fall of 1860 he came to Gratiot County and built a log house on section 20, Fulton, where he had bought 120 acres of wild land two years previous. He had bought 160 acres in Elba Township as early as 1855, but he disposed of this two or three years later. After building his pioneer "castle," he went back to Lenawee County, and in January 1861, returned with his wife to their new home in the forest. He now has 120 acres, 80 of which are under the plow and modern farm buildings.
He was first married in Lenawee County, Michigan, December 25, 1860, to Miss Marietta Bryant, a native of Lenawee County. This marriage was blessed with four children: Wallace M., Cora D., Viola D. and Hannah J. Losing his wife October 13, 1872, he was again married, March 5, 1874, in Maple Rapids, Clinton County, to Mrs. Harriet Randall, daughter of John and Tamer (Boner) Lyon, and widow of James Randall, who died in the Federal army in 1862. She was born in Morrow County, Ohio, February 3, 1838, and had by her first marriage three children: John F., Roy L. and James (died when one year old). Mr. and Mrs. G. have one child of their own, Tamer E. Mr. G. is in political views a Democrat. Mrs Griffith is a member of the Baptist Church.