Search for content in message boards

Is Benjamin Beal b. 1745 Newbury same as Benj Bell md 1767 Salem?

Replies: 5

NO!! Re: Is Benjamin Beal b. 1745 Newbury same as Benj Bell md 1767 Salem?

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 8:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Beall Beale Beal Beel Bell Meserve Messervey Messervy Meservy Meservey Noyes Carney Kirkwood
12 apr 2012

From Warren Forsythe – genealogy118 (at) http://wc.rootsweb.com

--for database ildaunewtest at http://wc.rootsweb.com

CORRECTION! :

I MADE A MISTAKE --IN WHAT I SENT TO YOU YESTERDAY:

THE BENJAMIN BELL WHO MARRIED 1767 IN SALEM, MASS.

WAS NOT SAME AS THE BENJAMIN BEAL WHO MD 1772 NEWBURY, MA

--and actually, contrary to my delusion, Newbury lies closer to NH, than it is to Salem.

-

So I’ll correct their family trees ASAP on internet and on new.familysearch.org

~Regretfully, Warren Forsythe genealogy118 (at) fairpoint.net

Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:39 PM

To: genealogy118@fairpoint.net

Subject: RE: DAR #A008689 Benj Bell ?=? Benj Beal?

Dear Warren,

As it happens, I am descended from John Beal who came from England on the “Fortune” in 1652. His family lived primarily in Hingham, MA. Another Beal also came on the “Fortune” and settled in Marblehead, MA. Unfortunately, my Beal genealogy doesn’t show the Benjamin you mention at all.

After looking at all the records that I can find, I think it’s a stretch to think that Benjamin Bell, father of Abigail & Sarah, is one and the same as Benjamin Beal, son of Zachariah Beal. Two reasons:

1) Attached pages from The Prominent Families of the United States of America, for the Carney family, refer to Benjamin Bell “of Salem, Mass.” which makes sense since that’s where Abigail Meservey & her family lived, where she and Benjamin married and both girls were born. There is no mention of Newbury at all.

2) The Newbury records show Zachariah Beal “of York” and records show that he is from York, Maine. The Essex Antiquarian gives a summary of his marriage and children, which includes Benjamin Beal with one marriage and names only one child, Nabby. No mention of Salem at all. No mention of a first marriage.

I just don’t see the cross-over. If Benjamin Beal’s first wife was Abigail Meservey from Salem who died and he married 2nd Katharine Noyes, then why weren’t the girls with him and his 2nd wife? In order to make the leap between the two men, then there needs to be some evidence in one of the family records.

Even if Nabby is a nickname for Abigail, and Abigail Bell and Nabby Beal are born the same year, it’s still a stretch for me without some evidence that the two families might have lived in the same places.

Take a look at the “Bell information” that I’ve attached. The Essex Antiquarian lists multiple Bell families that appear to go between Salem & Danvers, which are very close together. I suspect you will find your Bell parents there – maybe George Bell & Sarah Lander who married in 1740? Benjamin and Abigail named a daughter, Sarah.

Maybe I’m missing something. Let me know what you think…

Peggy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
genealogy1261... 12 Apr 2012 3:58AM GMT 
genealogy1261... 12 Apr 2012 2:39PM GMT 
noyesk 12 Apr 2012 6:51PM GMT 
genealogy1261... 13 Apr 2012 7:02PM GMT 
genealogy1261... 15 Apr 2012 1:35PM GMT 
noyesk 15 Apr 2012 2:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic